Fitting a concrete fireback...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The concrete fireback in my renovation project is about 4" proud of the surrounding brickwork.

Is there any reason I can't dig it all out and rebuild so the front of the fireback is flush with brickwork?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks Noseall,

Is making it flush the correct way to do it? Where would it be relative to the brickwork on a new build?

it would be flush. the decorative fire insert would then be fitted to the brickwork, with say an adams surround being fitted to the insert. the internal cut-out of the insert is then finished with a metal trim which covers the gap between insert and fire brick (back).

i hope this makes a little sense. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm doing a similar thing and considering getting the fireback set up so the front of it sits flush with the plastered wall. This is because I want to have the chimney breast plastered before fitting the rest of the fire surround. By fitting the fireback to the plaster I was hoping to eliminate any significant gaps.

It all depends on the fireplace and surround you are putting in. A clay fireback suggests that you will be using solid fuel which means that you should try to maintain a gap between 10 and 25mm between the surround back panel and the fireback face which should be filled with a fire rope to allow for expansion.

A little more information about your plans would help me give more accurate info

Hi Smartypants,

Basically I have removed the old concrete / tile fire surround and the plaster from the breast and am left with the fireback protruding the breast brickwork by approx 4". I am assuming this will give me problems fitting a new surround once plastered since the fireback will be proud of the plaster by, say, 3". My intention was to pull out the fireback to open the fireplace up to its original size then rebuild with fireback flush with the brickwork. Once plastered there will then be a gap the same thickness as the plaster between the fireback and the back of the surround. Presumably this is the gap a fill with fire rope?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back