fitting a fire door to an old frame - rebate too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old internal door in an old frame with a new fire door.

The frame doesn't have a separate door stop that I can remove and refit so I need to increase the depth of the original rebate to hold the thicker door.

To complicate matters the legs of the frame have shifted in opposite directions over the years so one leans into the room the other leans out!

I want to nail a new door stop to the frame to deep enough to allow the new door to hit it, make it vertical on both sides and chisel out any excess of the old rebate...

Is this a good fix? Seems like I could be doing a lot of chiselling but would be better than replacing the frames with all the replastering and decorating required.

Any tips for fast (and neat) removal of he excess wood? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Glue and screw not nails .
Maybe glue and screw the new stop on and use a top bearing guided flush cutting router bit to remove the un wanted old stop . If the frame is not to far out then adjusting the hinges the other way to your out of wind will put it right . It's probably quicker to change the frame to be honest .

Thanks for the tips.

I decided to try with the router, I didn't have a top bearing guided flush bit so tried with a regular bit and temporarily nailed on a guide for the router (used the new door stop for this as it was already cut to length).

The router shifted most of the material in a fraction of the time and just needed to chisel out the corners, then put the stops in the right place.

Sponsored Links
Good thinking ! Bet you got covered in sawdust :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back