fitting a kitchen ( try to )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a U-shaped kitchen.
The problem is that the wall at the "bottom" of the U is 286 cm
and the units to be fitted are 285 cm, so I have 10 mm spare.
The units are 570 mm deep and the worktop is 600 mm, so the overhang
is 30 mm but the doors are 24 mm thick, only 6 mm left until now.
If I bring the units in the "legs" of the U forewards ( 5 mm each side
to make up for the 10 mm spare) and the doors are closed there is only 1 mm diference between the front of the doors and the front of the worktop
and I don't think that that looks nice.
The walls are not very straight so I can't push the work top against the splash tiles either.
Does anybody has a solution for my problem?
Very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It would be useful to see your layout plan, I can't work out your 285 dim.

If this includes 2 corner posts, the easiest thing to do is leave them out and make new ones with one of the legs 5mm wider. You will need a spare end panel for this.

It may also pay you to put the units into their position, I know it measures up 10mm to spare but that can quickly disappear ( please don't ask where it goes, it just does).

fitter said:
It would be useful to see your layout plan, I can't work out your 285 dim.

If this includes 2 corner posts, the easiest thing to do is leave them out and make new ones with one of the legs 5mm wider. You will need a spare end panel for this.

It may also pay you to put the units into their position, I know it measures up 10mm to spare but that can quickly disappear ( please don't ask where it goes, it just does).

It is a Wickes kitchen.
2 corner units 925 mm each and a 1000 mm hob unit between them

Never thought of corner units, that rules out making new corner posts.

Wickes normally supply self stick colour matched edging tape that you put around the front edges of the units, fill in the front of the gaps between the 1000 unit and the two corner units with a piece of strip wood and hide it with the tape, it should not notice too much if you adjust the doors carefully.

The sheds keep a selection of stripwood from 4mm, try the racks where they keep the beading etc.

Sponsored Links
Thank you fitter, you gave me an idea.
I will cut off 10 mm from the back of the units so this will give me a decent overhang(40 mm minus doors).
The 10 mm spare will than grow to 30 mm.
I will fill this up with 15 mm chipboard on each side of the hob unit
and glue a piece of decorative beading on the fillers.
The kitchen doors are elm wood so if I stain the beading a
little darker this will give me a nice little feature ( I hope ).
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back