Fitting a new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a pendant ceiling light with a new light fitting (a 3-light bow spotlight). The instructions that come with the new light, and all DIY books, tell me to expect either 1 or 3 cables. But I have taken off the ceiling rose to find 2 cables. Each of the 2 cables houses a red wire, a black wire and a copper wire.
The new light fitting comes with a 4-terminal block. The terminals are marked L(ive), E(arth) and N(eutral), with the fourth terminal unmarked.
So I'm seeking advice on correct procedure for connecting the 3 pairs of incoming wires to this 4-terminal block. In the meantime I've reinstalled the old fitting exactly as it was.

Sponsored Links
4th terminal is loop in or "spare"

the bare wires are earth and should have green/yellow sleaving, connect the light acros the two blacks*

put the two reds in the 4th terminal

*I assume that the 2 reds are currently connected to each other
and the actula existing light is connected to the two blacks, one of which should have red sleaving or red tape

Thanks, Breezer.
The black wires are both exactly the same - no red tape or markings on either.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry, should have described wiring that comes with the new light. Going from left to right, the first terminal is empty, the second receives two brown wires, the third a single earth wire, and the fourth two blue wires. Does this make any difference to the advice given?

please read forum rules 10a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back