Fitting a new ceiling using an existing dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace an existing celing light with another. The light is on a dimmer switch. There are two sets of cables coming out of the celing. Each sets has a red, black and yellow/green wire. The new light only has blue and brown wire.

I connected one set of ceiling wires as follows:
1) red of celing set with blue of new light
2) black of celing set with brown of new light

When the mains were turned on the light came on but it does not respond to the dimmer switch when I try and turn it off/on. Can someone please help??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you are working on the last fitting of a loop-in lighting system. I would think that one of the twin and earth cables will be the feed from the mains and the other twin and earth cable will be the cable to the switch. You need to connect the two red wires together in a peice of terminal strip, then you need to carefully test the two black wires to find out which one is the neutral and which one is the switched live (return from the switch). The switched wire needs a piece of red sleeving or red tape putting on it. Connect the switch wire (black with red sleeve) to the live connection on your fitting (brown wire) and connect the neutral (plain black) wire to the neutral connection on your fitting (blue wire). Then connect both earth wires (sleeved green and yellow) to the earth wire on your fitting (green and yellow)

HTH

Rob

Thanks for your response. This is great. The only thing I need to add is there are no earth wires in the fitting. Is it ok for me to leave the ones on the cables unconnected?
Thanks again.

There may not be an earth wire as such , but is there a small brass earth terminal somewhere on the fitting to connect them into? If not then connect them together in a terminal strip and tuck them inside the ceiling rose or fitting. Don't forget that the bare wire should be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving as well.

Whatever you do don't leave them loose (you don't want them to accidently touch one of the other wires) and don't cut them off (someone may need them in the future).

Sponsored Links
mkaravdra said:
I connected one set of ceiling wires as follows:
1) red of celing set with blue of new light
2) black of celing set with brown of new light

What did you do with the other?

Why did you think you could dispense with one cable?

Why did you decide red goes to blue and black to brown?

HELP!!

SparkyMarky said:
Whatever you do don't leave them loose (you don't want them to accidently touch one of the other wires) and don't cut them off (someone may need them in the future).

And don't try to earth a Class II fitting....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back