Fitting a new pull switch for an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old switch had 4 terminals, an earth point and an indicator light when on. The new switch has the same number of terminals, although the "on" light is a bit different. The are three wires and an earth in the cable: the wires are blue, red and yellow. The terminals are numbered L1, L2, L3 and L4. The warning "on" light is connected to slots in terminals L1 and L4. The fan was fitted with a 30 second delay before kicking in, and a 10 minute over run. I have tried every combination of colours to terminals, but with no joy. L1 and L4 have the message "out dp" printed between them and the words "in dp" appear between L2 and L3. Finally the words "COM 2 WAY" appear beside L1. What colours to which numbers of terminal? -or do I just leave the bathroom window open?

Sponsored Links
would you like me to send you some divorce papers?

how was the original switch wired and what tyoe of switch was it (DP, 2 way etc)?

andrew2022 said:
would you like me to send you some divorce papers?

how was the original switch wired and what tyoe of switch was it (DP, 2 way etc)?

Original switch was DP, one way, and there was no numbering on the terminals: they were set 2 and 2 on either side of the switch, with one side marked "IN". By comparing the two switches it seems that red was to L1, (this is the side marked "IN") blue to L3 and yellow to L2. Fairly sure that's right, but would not claim 100% certainty.

Sponsored Links
Aha, OK, load is out, so,
red (live in) to In becomes L2 or L3 whichever one will connect to L4 when on - check with meter before connecting, or leave blue off until sure, otherwise if you get it wrong there will be a short accross mains when switch is pulled.

Blue to L4 (neutral - only needed for lamp)
yellow (live out) to L1 - forms L-N pair with L4)

What you are trying to do is connect red and yellow with a single pole switch to start the fan, and blue is only there to light the light from yellow when power is on, and the terminal is only used as an anchor to the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back