fitting a plug to a kitchen extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into my first house and as I can't afford a new kitchen I just refurb'd what was there for now.

One thing the kitchen didn't have was an extractor fan. So I bought a cheap one that'll do for now and I'll look at a better (ie more attractive one) in the future when I redo the whole kitchen.

The manual stats that the extractor is designed to be permanantly connected to the electrical supply through a double-pole switch fused spur. It also says that if a plug should be fitted for any reason than a BS1363/A 13amp fuse fitted with a 3amp fuse should be used.

I always thought that extractors HAD to be permanantly connected. However, fitting a plug would be alot easier for me as I could put the plug on myself - so no electrician to pay - and it'll make things easier for me when I rip the whole kitchen out futher down the line....

So, even though the manual says I can fit an ordinary plug onto the extractor is there any major reason I shouldn't?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
There's no reason, so some 3 core flex and a plug with 3a fuse will be fine.

From an astetic point of view, no one here likes surface hanging / fixed cable, add in that the socket you plug in to will (mostly) now be permanently used for the fan and that's throws up a wee' consideration, you now have one more device plugged in.

I would suggest you support the flex with some round clips for neatness and for general safety.

the cable wont be visible as there is a unit that the extractor will fit under (it's not a chimney hood type but one of those under unit types).

there is already about 2.5' of cable running out of the extractor so I'll just feed this up the hole I cut in the bottom of the unit to feed the extractor fan ducting through.

I was then thinking of plugging the extractor into a 2 plug extension that will sit on top of the units out of sight. I will be using this extension for some small pc speakers hidden away on top of the units that I can plug my ipod into. They tend to hum if left on without any music playing so I want to be able to switch them off at the mains anyway... Obviously it wont matter if they hum when the extractors on as that will drown out the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back