Fitting a shower base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a Solo walk in shower enclosure from B & Q. There is no mention in the instructions of fitting the tray on a bed of sand and cement but instead just using the adjustable locakable feet and the fact the glass side panels are then attached to the wall. Is this the way to go as it goes contrary to what friends tell me abaout fitting shower trays?

Sponsored Links
They are a load of rubbish. Fitted onbe for one of those stupid customers who buys their own stuff instead of taking our advise. I give it 6 weeks before her large set husband has worn a crack in the flimsy thing.

The power of her shower from the unvented system I fitted ensure the shower room floor gets a royal soaking through that uselessly screened walk in bit.

I just sat it on the feet as there's not a lot else you can do. I did build a raised platform for the waste plumbing.

I think people who design bathroom furniuture are a bunch of narcicistic incompetents with no knowledge of physics, they should be flower arranging. Probabvly all have degrees in art and design.

Well I am stupid and you are not, feel better now?

Nothing personal you understand, just having a dig at manufacturers and the sheds.

On the whole we get better quality gear for you at the merchants. Though it is true that bnq will take stuff back (although I have had to have a few stand up confrontations with the local store over who marked it as though it was me! I ASK YOU!)

A few titbits.

Went to fit customers bathroom including spa bath, they'd waited 4 weeks fot he bath to get it's spa treatment. I'd ripped out old suite so nothing left to bath in, unpacked new bath, had massive chip out of the bottom. Rang customer, job delayed until he got home from work. He had to decide between waiting 4 weeks with no bath at all, or fit it with the blemish. He opted for latter.

Went to fit customers own rads bought from shed. top and side grilles were absolutely mullered either by her collecting them and puting them in her garage or by bnq staff. I was on a tight schedule, so just fitted them in their mangled state.

If I supply rads and there is the slightest blemish I repace with brand new. I had to do this on three rads of last weeks heating job. My merchants come out in theiur van with three replacements and take mine away. I charge the customer no more than as if they had bought their own substandard ones which are mishandled by them and the shed.

At the end of the day we want a certain amount of money for our time when we price a job. We are not out to make money out of you as retailers.

When you buy your own gear it is only fair to expect you to take full responsibility for any subsequent problems (which will be an almost certainty). When we provide it we ensure everything is perfect.

We also know what is of serviceable quality and doesn't just look the part.

Sponsored Links
Of course this doesn't help you because you probably buy your own and fit your own. All credit to you, I do all my own diy too.

You don';t have a lot of options.

Regarding showers they are the most awful precipitators of houshold leaks. We know because if we had a hot dinner for every one that wants to discuss a problem with their shower we would all be very fat.

Basically if it is upstairs when picking a shower tray think sherman tank, or don't get too attached to the ceiling below.

Well It looks like I will have to live with what I have bought for financial reasons. Also I can't take it back as it was bought 7 months ago and is open, this is a long term project!

I have a mate who is a plumber (but prefer to get answers here as the quickest way to sour a friendhip is constant hassle about their work in non work time) He has plenty of similar stories. My favourite was the women who had bought a back to the wall toilet with concealed cistern and then showed him the solid stone wall she wanted it concealed in.

Yes we often have to build full false stud walls or just up to the level of a shelf to accomodate these things and hanging basins.

Water regs don't allow cold water pipes to be chased into outside walls either.

Common problem is give a rough estimate to someone who says they are going to just buy basic stuff, then they turn up with this sort of thing.

What a friend of mine does is charge for isntalation the same as they have spent on the furniture. That usually seperates the wheat from the chaff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back