fitting a toilet in a victorian conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a flat in a Victorian mansion block but the only toilet is miles away from the bedroom (and right next to the front door). There is a massive cupboard in the hallway that i was hoping to turn into a toilet BUT it's not on an outside wall and is nowhere near the current soil pipe. I was also thinking about letting out the property when i am living abroad and have heard that a macerating toilet (which i believe could be my only option for an 'inside' toilet) is a nightmare for rented properties??!!
I am hearing so much conflicting stuff. Could you please give me your expert opinion on macerating toilets in rented properties and the likelihood of me being able to fit a toilet in a Victorian property where the proposed 'toilet' wall is nowhere near my soil pipe!! I do not have an endless budget either so could you please give me an idea of the likely cheapest option?! Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
To be honest I would avoid macerators like the plague!

Thre work fine as long as nothing other than waste and loo paper go down them - the minute anything else goes in the pan (especially 'feminie hygene products') it's time to take them apart !

You areess likely to have control over what goes in the pan if you rent out your flat.

The feasability of fitting a toilet in the location you mentioned depends on how far away the stack is what, how accesible it is, what else is connected to the stack and to some extent what it's made of.

It's worth remebering that even a macerator has to be connected to the stack so if there is an easy route to the stack (below the floor?) then I'd go for the traditional loo every time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back