Fitting bath - TRAPS, SEALANT, BATONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to plumb in my bath in the next few days. first time for me. So I have a few questions which Im sure are easy to answer for non -rookies.

TRAP
In terms of the trap - is there much difference between P trap , shallow P trap and any others. what tends to work best? or is it all about how much clearance you have from the bottom of bath to floor?

SEALANT
I read somewhere that you are supposed to seal the bath to the wall first with silicone. then fit tiles, then seal again once tiles are in place. Is this the best technique?

People talk about using silicone to fit the taps, waste and overflow fittings into the bath holes. Is there any difference between this and silicone sealant used to seal around the edge between bath and tiles?

BATONS
Is it advisable to screw batons to the wall first to rest the rim of the bath on (as well as using the supplied feet)

any advice welcome

thanks

Sponsored Links
batons take the weight.

always use genuine silicone sealant

not sure about trap.

thanks for your answers. I notice on other parts of this forum questions , other people say "proper silicone sealant" and NOT to use "kitchen and bathroom sealant"

1. What is "proper sealant"?
2. What brand to use?
3. how will I know its the good product and not the other product?

thanks

Pete

Quite often "genuine silicone" will be labelled just that. It is a lot stickier than kitchen/bathroom sealant and is much longer lasting. The only reason I can think they invented sealant is because it is easier to peel off any excess and clean off any residue: genuine silicone sticks like nothing else.

The trap: well, you can't use a shallow trap if the bath empties directly into a soil stack. By this I mean that you have bath trap connected to waste pipe, waste pipe running to soil pipe. These can only be used with a "gulley".

Always use batons when installing a bath. A typical bath holds over 200 litres of water. Add in the weight of a person and that is 300 kg. Bear in mind the fact that at some point, two people will try to fit in it together (make sure you don't get the taps end) and you are talking about a lot of weight being steadied by the measley brackets they supply with a bath.

Sponsored Links
**********QUOTE*********
The trap: well, you can't use a shallow trap if the bath empties directly into a soil stack. By this I mean that you have bath trap connected to waste pipe, waste pipe running to soil pipe. These can only be used with a "gulley".

THANKS FOR THE INFO ADAM. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE WASTE SETUP IS HERE. ITS A TOP FLOOR FLAT IN A MODERN BLOCK( BUILT 1993). ANY IDEAS? WHY IS THE SHALLOW TRAP NOT ALLOWED FOR DIRECT CONNECTION TO SOIL PIPES?

************QUOTE************
Always use batons when installing a bath. A typical bath holds over 200 litres of water. Add in the weight of a person and that is 300 kg. Bear in mind the fact that at some point, two people will try to fit in it together (make sure you don't get the taps end) and you are talking about a lot of weight being steadied by the measley brackets they supply with a bath.[/quote]

I PLAN TO RUN TWO BATONS ALONG THE WALL ON THE EDGES OF THE BATH THAT MEET THE WALL. THE BATH IS VILLEROY & BOCH "QUARYL" SO IT WONT FLEX - BUT THE 2 CRADLES/4 FEET THEY SUPPLY ARE JUST THICK MOULDED PLASTIC. LETS HOPE IT HOLDS...OTHERWISE I MIGHT HAVE TO PUT A BAN ON THE TWO-PEOPLE ACTICS!

IM STILL TRYING TO FIND THIS "GENUINE SILICONE "- ANY BRAND NAME/PRODUCT NAMES YOU CAN QUOTE? B&Q DONT KNOW I AM TALKING ABOUT WHEN I ASK FOR GENUINE SILICONE!

AdamW said:
Quite often "genuine silicone" will be labelled just that. It is a lot stickier than kitchen/bathroom sealant and is much longer lasting. The only reason I can think they invented sealant is because it is easier to peel off any excess and clean off any residue: genuine silicone sticks like nothing else.

Always use batons when installing a bath. A typical bath holds over 200 litres of water. Add in the weight of a person and that is 300 kg. Bear in mind the fact that at some point, two people will try to fit in it together (make sure you don't get the taps end) and you are talking about a lot of weight being steadied by the measley brackets they supply with a bath.

plodder said:
WHY IS THE SHALLOW TRAP NOT ALLOWED FOR DIRECT CONNECTION TO SOIL PIPES?

If you use a shallow trap then the "seal" (i.e. the water in the trap) is not so good. So if it is sucked out of the trap or possibly just evaporates a bit if left for a while then the seal is broken.

Then you get foul smells coming out of the plug hole.

If you have a big-as* trap then there is a good amount of water in there to stop gas coming out.

If you have any experience of homebrewing wine or beer, think of an airlock. A trap is exactly the same as an airlock in principle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back