fitting cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new cooker for someone, small single oven combined grill, i believe 1.3 kw ( INDESIT K3E1WG ).
not an MCB but a fuse carrier.
will it be 30 amp fuse ?
will it be 6mm cable ( aprox 26 metre run ) ?
and what connects the cooker outlet to the cooker? same 6 mm cable or 2.5 / 4mm Butyl ?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello mrtell,

Can you confirm that the cooker is 1.3kw please, ( i have had a quick look about on the net and cannot find a site that gives the power ratings of this model).

If it is 1.3kw, then it may only be drawing just over five and a half amps.

(However, I personally would not design the circuit around that particular cooker, as if you come to change it at a later date you may opt for a higher rated cooker).

Can you get back to us with the rating, when you are sure, and we can take it from there.

Hope this is of some help.

Its most definately NOT 1.3kW for 4 hobs a grill and an oven... It says:
Energy consumption 1.13kWh.

But how do they know this? If I warm up some milk is it going to use 1.13kWh? If I cook a whole Sunday dinner is it going to use 1.13kWh? The whole idea of energy consumption is it varies with time... or have I missed some stardard time limit when it comes to stating power consumption for a cooker?

Anyway, I could only find power ratings for the hobs:

Front left: 1500w
Front right:2000w
Rear left: 2000w
Rear right:1500w

That's 7kW on the hobs alone...

Regardless of all this, you clearly don't know what you are doing regarding the electrical side of things and since its in a kitchen its notifiable work and I can only assume you are not Part-P registered (no offence but I should hope you are not...) May I suggest you tell the people you are fitting it for that they should pay a qualified electrician to do it so they know its done right.

Davy

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88

At the end of the day i believe that for your average standalone cooker at 26 meter cable run with 30 amp fuse is ample.

and as for the work involved it does not require the brains of britain.

No need to be downright rude.

There are many professional sparks here (like me) and countless others of varied experience who bust a gut to help people like you & get absolutely no reward for it whatsoever.

That attitude gets you nowhere.

BTW, if it doesn't require the brains of Britain to do what you want, what are you doing here asking for help?????

Work it out yourself if it's that easy.

mrtell said:
http://www.indesit.co.uk/indesit/_pdf/manuals/19504968202_UK.pdf

http://www.topappliance.com/indesit-k3e1wg-p-9268.html?ref=7

using that lentgh of cable run with 6mm and 30 amp fuse, what sort of total output would max it out.
thank you.

For a cooker Load:
Cable length = 26m
Cable size = 6mm
Protection Fuse = 30 A
Max cooker Load with diversity = 13.8Kw

For a non-cooker Load:
Cable length = 26m
Cable size = 6mm
Protection Fuse = 30A
Max Load = 6.9Kw

securespark

I said the"work" involved did not take the brains of britain.
I have come on hear to ask the experts for a bit of advice on the clever parts of rewiring which i am not to sure about.

mrtell said:
davy_owen_88

At the end of the day i believe that for your average standalone cooker at 26 meter cable run with 30 amp fuse is ample.

and as for the work involved it does not require the brains of britain.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be rude, but your attitude is appalling. If its as easy as you say then why did you ask for help in the first place?

Do you know anything about the numerous factors that have to be considered when selecting a cable? When it comes to correctly sizing a cable there isn't a '1 size fits all' option.

Anyway, you go ahead and fit the cooker - I just thought by mentioning your obvious lack of knowledge you would understand that what you are doing could result in someone's death and you would be held responsible.

Good luck,
Davy

Mosez

thank you for your kind reply,
would you suggest that i use 10 mm and 45 amp fuse for all future eventualities.
thank you.

With your wealth of knowlegde, what do you recommend to yourself?

BTW, you are on exceedingly dodgy ground fitting a cooker for someone else, when you don't even know how to do it without resorting to a DIY forum.

+++++++++++++++
abusive post removed
Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Unfortunately, what I don't find funny is that some poor soul has put their faith in you to decide how best to install a high powered appliance in their home, and you haven't got the first clue. Get on your horse and leave it to a pro...

I bet you're not even insured.

I shall say no more on the matter.

I am not someone that wants to make a bit of money doing a job for an unsuspecting person, I am a father who wants to help his son out who has moved into an house with no cooker point and cannot afford to get the help of an eletrician.
I realize that i am not an expert and that is why i came onto this forum.
I have however totaly rewired my own house about 20 years ago including consumer unit, and had the work checked by a qualified electrician who said i had done a good job without any faults and full regard for safety regulations.
I think i am competent enough if i get the right information.
BTW the cooker in question is 9KW total output ( emailed Indesist )
I have asked in an electrical suppliers who have given me information but i like to double check, as you say elecricity is very dangerous.

Hello,
Maybe you could 'run' the cable in, and then get a registered electrician to do the connecting up ? this should ensure the work is 'notified' and tested accordingly, and may work out a cheaper for you.
Just an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back