FITTING DOWN LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit down lights in my dinningroom and lounge. The size of the rooms are 12 x 12 and 9 x 11 feet. How many down lights should i fit and what watts should the bulbs be for a good light cover. And where is the best place to by the lights.

Sponsored Links
depends what you want to achieve at the end of the day, what you call bright i may call dim.

most people fit the number of lights that are in the box they just brought

I would say as many as you can have (within reason) and fit a dimmer switch, but before you get them make sure they are dimable

Take your pick

breezer said:
depends what you want to achieve at the end of the day, what you call bright i may call dim.

most people fit the number of lights that are in the box they just brought

I would say as many as you can have (within reason) and fit a dimmer switch, but before you get them make sure they are dimable

Take your pick

so if there is 2 in a box i fit 2 yer right
chers

if you were to read my post properly i said "most people", also i have yet to see two in a box, (its usually 3), also if you clicked the link i provided, you would see that i have directed you to various types / wattages of which you can choose how many you wish to install.
have a nice day!

Sponsored Links
Try to fit an odd number, evens look weird like garden plants, in our lounge 15x10 we have 3 on fireplace wall and 2 on opposite wall either side of window, all positioned c 2' away from wall and angled in towards them.

These people have a good range.

I have no experience of 12V downlighters, but I have read that the kits with 1 transformer and multiple lamps are to be avoided, as they are terribly unreliable. That may only be the cheapo ones where they rely on all the bulbs working in order to drag the transformer output down to 12V.

You probably get what you pay for, and unless you want to be forever changing bulbs go for a quality product. It may be best to use a proper lighting shop, or a supplier like the one above. See who can give you good advice.

Also bear in mind that dimming low-voltage halogen bulbs too much will shorten their life, not lengthen it, as they won't run hot enough for the tungsten to get redeposited on the filament.

EDIT:
Don't forget the fireproof hoods over the lamps.....

Adding to b-a-s, go for mains voltage and a 400w dimmer will control 5x50w (Less than normal lamps, but don't ask me why !)

But do not, under ANY circumstances use RO80 spot/flood lamps. They have a stupidly short lifespan - I have 8 in my house, and I buy bulbs by the pallet load. I thought I'd found the cure by changing to the GE Genura low-energy lamp, until one of those exploded, spraying glass and molten metal out, so now I'm back on the old incandescents.

As soon as I find my round tuit they're getting ripped out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back