Fitting Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Sir,
I am fitting a new external stable door that has nine panes of glass. The glass is to be fitted to the door on a bed of putty from the inside of the door and then held in place by hardwood mouldings. Do I putty both sides of the glass (ie wood, putty, glass, putty, wood)or is it sufficient to fit the mouldings directly to the glass with no putty?

Thank you, Alastair Pullin.

Sponsored Links
just one side .put the putty in before you put the glass in .press the glass firmly in place and finish with the mouldings held in tightly .

a neater and easier method would be the application of 1/16" black double sided foam tape to the outside stop. Make sure you "dry fit" the piece before you remove the tape strip. If it fits, you need to set the piece EXACTLY in the spot you want - if you try and move it once adhered, most likely you will have to retape the opening cause the tape will peel from the fixed stop on the door. You can buy glazing tapes through a glass company in your area - they usually won't sell to the public. The glass Co can order it for you from CR Laurence Co. THey ship UPS everywhere.

I take it that this glazing tapes go on the outside of the door exposing to rain,if so is it waterproof ?

I got 90 glass panes to do !

Sponsored Links
Info...

I have found the company that supply glazing for timber frame and very please with it. They come in all different sizes. 25m x 10mm x 3mm cost approx £6.35 + vat + delivery,not sure how much putty is but glazing tape is a lot cleaner and neat For more info see this

A big thank you to masona for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for also. The only thing I could find was the Screwfix "E"strip which is nowhere as near the quality of this.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back