Fitting shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a shower tray onto a chipboard floor, possibly cutting out the chipboard under the tray and replacing it with thinner plywood to make the tray as low as possible.
Should the edge of the tray sit on top of the floor tiles, or should the tiles just butt up to the side of the tray? I've been told both by different retailers.

Sponsored Links
I have tried both and from my experience you should sit the tiles on the tray( after securing so it will not move) so that it will not leak.

Use plenty of silicone on edges and don't forget you need a fall on the waste so don't have the tray too low. :D

Try a search on a product called Teleseal-available thro screwfix amongst others.Tiles etc tend to leak after a while

Bahco said:
I have tried both and from my experience you should sit the tiles on the tray( after securing so it will not move) so that it will not leak.

Use plenty of silicone on edges and don't forget you need a fall on the waste so don't have the tray too low. :D

I think he was asking about sitting the tray on top of the floor tiles or butting them up to the tray you are talking wall tiles?????

Sponsored Links
:oops:

I do read the posts properly sometimes. :LOL:

Most important thing is that it is sealed properly and spare a thought to accessing the trap in case of blockages.

Thanks for all thoughts. I still don't know whether to tile under the edge of the tray or just up to the sides, but I'll use loads of silicon and probably Teleseal as well. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back