Fitting skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please.... :cry:

Whats the best way of cutting an external corner on skirting board, mine is 22cm high and i have been trying with an power mitre saw but because of the height it doesnt all fit. Could i use a coping saw instead, would that be easier?

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
Hi Sue and welcome!

Us rich chippies (Huh! lol) use expensive electric saws that will cut that deep, so never have that problem ( cor, I flipping wish!), but, why not cut as far as you can go with the mitre saw (I presume you're laying the skirting down and cutting across it?) Then draw a line down from the edge of the cut to the bottom of the board (so you can follow it) using a good handsaw just cut the remaining little bit by hand.

DO NOT use a coping saw. They are way too fine for what you are trying to acheive and wont cut straight enough.

Alternatively you might (depending on your saw) cut halfway, turn the board round and cut the other half.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will pipe up with another alternative, but they are the methods I generally use when I get struck (and yes even with our posh saws we still get stuck :D ).

Woody

Hi Woody,

Thanks for replying,
Will try your method...thanks. Have tried turning it round but (dont know how to explain this) my saw will only go to the left, so consequently it would cut at the wrong angle... dont know wthether that makes sense.

Yep, totally understand, the way over that is to turn the wood over and around, but you have to be very careful to line it all back up when you cut it. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
woody

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I read somewhere about trying a circular saw if it has a 45 degree thingy on it....wish i'd have known that earlier, "easy peasy" as they say. It's all cut now and fixed to the wall.

Thanks for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back