Fitting skirting boards - glue rather than screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon fit new pine skiting boards that I intend to then wax.

Ideally I don't want screws showing and so wanted to glue them on using "no more nails". However, I suspect that the walls will not run perfectly straight and the the wood will also have slight warps.

How can I ensure a good glued bond?

Sponsored Links
You can't! You can use the mitres in the corners to help hold the boards in place a little. No more nails is ok, but you may better of using Gripfill. Whilst it is solvent based, it offers better "grab" capabilites than No More.

No matter how well you try, you are likely to get some gaps along the top edge, and the only option is a filler.

I often have to use the odd masonary nail, in conjunction with glue to ensure the board holds there. At least then I only have to cover a small hole.

Woody

I concur with Woody - this is exactly what I do.

However, if you might want to consider using screws, and sinking in the heads and then plugging the holes with a wooden plug.

Ukwoody said:
No matter how well you try, you are likely to get some gaps along the top edge, and the only option is a filler.

If your boards and wall are fairly straight (i.e. no major gaps) you could use "Fixall" made by Soudal. This is the best adhesive/caulk I've found. Not quite as good as Gripfil as an adhesive (but still very good), but much better than Gripfil for giving a neat finish.

See http://www.soudal.com/product/skudetail.asp?SkuDetID=76&LangID=5&TopCatID=33

Sponsored Links
Handyman, have you tried their PU glue? It's excellent and one of the cheapest on the market! Cant quite remeber it's name Puracell or similar, I ordered 24, it arrived next day and is brill stuff. Sorry, I know I've just hijacked the thread:(
Woody

Handyman said:
Ukwoody said:

If your boards and wall are fairly straight (i.e. no major gaps) you could use "Fixall" made by Soudal. This is the best adhesive/caulk I've found. Not quite as good as Gripfil as an adhesive (but still very good), but much better than Gripfil for giving a neat finish.

See http://www.soudal.com/product/skudetail.asp?SkuDetID=76&LangID=5&TopCatID=33

This Hyperlink didn't work for me until I'd visited the Soudal site. If anyone else has trouble then first click here and then navigate to the product page by choosing EN, Professional Range, then select the fourth image from the left on the bottom row - "Fixall" is under the "MS Polymer Based Sealants" category.

Ukwoody said:
Handyman, have you tried their PU glue? It's excellent and one of the cheapest on the market! Cant quite remeber it's name Puracell or similar, I ordered 24, it arrived next day and is brill stuff. Sorry, I know I've just hijacked the thread:(
Woody

Yes I have. It's called Purocol (and you can get Purocol Express too, which goes off more quickly), and yes, it's the best wood adhesive I've ever used. Brilliant stuff.

Also brilliant for repairing raised edges of worktop laminate (e.g. where the folded under bit along the front edge, has lifted, which sometimes happens above fitted oven units).

It really is good stuff. I reckon all the Soudal products are good and can be relied upon to do their job. Where did you order yours from? I had great difficulty it getting it.

(Sorry too, to have highjacked the thread)

I too am about to fit new skirting (pine) and am concerned about the warping/cupping problem. You know when the wood prefers to be banana shaped looking from the side therefore creating a gap at top and bottom. Should I store the wood in house for a while before fitting to dry out or is it best to fit straight from the garage. I intend to stain/varnish the wood not paint so I'd like to keep the gap to a minmum.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

If at all possible, lay the wood flat, in the house for at least a week. The moisture content when dried then stored at a merchants/ your garage will be much about 12% upwards, where as it will be about 5% upwards indoors.

However, as you will have noticed even pros like me cannot always get them straight though, then I 'm afraid it's get over it as best as posible.
Dont forget also, that by filling in along the top with say decorators caulk, you can then paint that same colour as the walls- still only staining the skirting - and it generally doesn't notice.
Woody

In my humble opinion, you should fit skirting asap before it has a chance to warp. Once it's in place (assuming it's been fixed properly), it should stay flat. If you eave it to dry out a bit, odds are it will warp.

I have used an adhesive made by Evostick called Sticks like S**t for the last 18 mnths (that's what it says on the tube, believe me). I have been a joiner for many a years and altho' new to this forum, can honestly say its the best product I have ever come across for skirting/architrave.

Wileecote, we are actually both right. Usually I get the skirting and just fit it, but if time and conditions allow, I always condition it first, yes it can warp a tad, but not noarmally enough to worry about. But fixing it straight to walls can also pull away... so you pays your money...

Bill, I tried Sticks Like the other week. It was formally sold to the garage trade for automtive use (i think for gaskets etc, but also to stick bumpers on) under a different name. Whilst I liked it, and it has very good flexibilty (perhaps too much at times?) I didnt really take to it.
A bit like the previous comment I guess it's each to their own :confused:

Woody

Ukwoody said:
I didnt really take to it.
Didn't really take to it! Boom, boom :LOL:

You can't help but take to it: It sticks everywhere, and that's why prefer FixAll. S**t is far more difficult to clean off excess (and off your fingers). It certainly does what it says on the tube. Chemically, I'm sure it's in the same family as FixAll.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back