fixing a mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a mirror to the center of a wall. I am then going to tile around that mirror with some large porcelain tiles.

I want the finished result to be tiles and mirror flush with each other. I have bought some Elch-pro mirror adhesive and this recommends pressing the glass no closer than 4mm to the wall. This gives me a problem as my mirror is 6mm and my tiles are 7mm thick. I am thinking I will probably end up with about 2mm of adhesive on the back of the tiles so I need the mirror to be pressed to 3mm off the wall. Would this be okay?

I am also intending to leave a small gap around the mirror (about 1-2mm) for any expansion and will silicon this after the adhesive goes off to make it water tight (it's on a bathroom wall). The only other thing may be worth mentioning is there will be a small mirror heating element on the back of mirror as well.

Thanks for any assistance.

Glen

====================
see forum rule 20

your post has been split

Sponsored Links
mark on the wall where you think you want the mirror to be.

tile the wall but leave out full tiles surrounding the mirror position, even if it means the apeture you leave is much bigger than the mirror.

you can now fix the mirror into position using the surrounding tiles as a depth gauge.

fix the tiles and cuts (if any) up to the mirror.

there will be very little expansion with ceramics or glass.

silicon works well when you have a 90 deg abutment or corner.
it can get very messy when both surfaces are flush. it may be wise to use masking tape when applying the sealant.
a larger 5mm gap may be better for introducing a propper seal.

Thanks for the reply, my main concern is the tube of adhesive says "Depth of compressed beads [of adhesive] should be no less than 4mm". That would make the mirror plus adhesive at 10mm depth. I can't have the tiles on 3mm of tile adhesive can I? I would expect it would cost a fortune (using ardex adhesive - expensive but very good) or am I talking utter blx?

Don't worry about the thickness of the adhesive. That figure might be important if you were just sticking the mirror straight to a wall, but don't forget that your mirror will be supported around the sides by the joint with the tiles too. I think I'd use tile adhesive at the joint around the edge instead of silicone though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back