Fixing a toilet to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, as the title says, I need to secure a toilet to the floor. I was expecting this to be straightforwards, but when I came to attempt it I noticed the toilet has only 2 holes that look like they are for screws into the floor. Whilst that in itself isn't a problem, the fact that they are on a almost vertical part of the toilet is, as it appears there isn't an obvious route to the floor through these holes.

I am sure I have read that cement is not advised as it can crack the toilet.

How do I fit this toilet to the floor? Would a simple ring of silicon hold it in place?

Sponsored Links
No silicone on its own won't work

You should screw the pan, Yes it is difficult even for a plumber, Thats why we get paid to do things like this.

Is the pan upstairs or downstairs I do prefer to cement them down as it is permanent but if it has to be removed in the future you will lose the pan and have to replace.

Forget cementing it down!

For these types of pan use specific fixings kits (some made by Fischer)
They consist of 2 L-shaped plastic fittings that are fixed to the floor with coach bolts and then you fix through the holes in the pan to these fixings.

Sorry, hard to explain but go to any merchants - they'll know!

GrahamT said:

They consist of 2 L-shaped plastic fittings that are fixed to the floor with coach bolts and then you fix through the holes in the pan to these fixings.

Sorry, hard to explain but go to any merchants - they'll know!

The fixings you are talking about are rubbish, plastic L shaped brackets
That are flexible and let the pan move.

I use 3x2 timber instead no flexiblity ;)

Sponsored Links
I've just done mine. I removed the toilet to tile the floor. When putting the toilet back I found the toilet base was not flat at all and wobbled about. So I bedded my toilet pan base onto a bed of wall tile adhesive to level it out (the most suitable thing I had to hand). This works great and if I have to remove in future the tile adhesive easily chips away from the ceramic finish (as it's designed to do). The pan is also screwed to the floor with brass screws at a slight angle. Finished off with a smooth silicon sealant strip. :D

Thanks- I had a feeling there would be some kind of bolt I needed. I have also considered tiler adhesive to glue it down with (I have some left), but wondered if that would cause the same cracking as cement?

Out of interest, how do you use the timber?

Many thanks to everyone that's replied.
Andy

I used a chunk of 4X2 cut to fit inside the void in the base of the pan, screwed the block to the floor, dropped the pan over it and put the screws into the sides of the block.

andywatson said:
Well, as the title says, I need to secure a toilet to the floor. I was expecting this to be straightforwards, but when I came to attempt it I noticed the toilet has only 2 holes that look like they are for screws into the floor. Whilst that in itself isn't a problem, the fact that they are on a almost vertical part of the toilet is, as it appears there isn't an obvious route to the floor through these holes.

I am sure I have read that cement is not advised as it can crack the toilet.

How do I fit this toilet to the floor? Would a simple ring of silicon hold it in place?
..........cement/sand is OK.............It`s plaster/bonding that can crack a pan .......I know :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back