Fixing a towel radiator to a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed my old radiator in the bathroom and i'm going to be hanging a towel radiator in its place. The old radiator was attached directly to the plasterboard with those expanding thingumajigs.

The towel radiator is a little heavier..would it be a prob using the same kind of fixings?..there are 4 mounts. I really can't face cutting holes into the plasterboard and putting lumps of wood in there...similarly I really cant face my new towel radiator pealing away from the wall and spilling its guts out in my nice new bathroom.

Sponsored Links
expanding thingumajigs!! thanks for that....I thought they would be okay....good to have second opinion

Give the wall a tap and see if you can locate any studs or noggins to screw it to, that will be more reliable. I once ripped a rad out of a plasterboard wall when I stumbled and grabbed hold to steady myself (I did have a broken leg at the time! but I suppose it could happen if you tripped, were ill or drunk)

Sponsored Links
couldn't find any studs or noggins along in the area I need. The partition wall is made up with two sheets of plasterboard with a cross hatch of cardboard in the middle....which gives me these super waffer-thin walls.

I fitted a towel radiator last year used the metal wall plugs with a spring which ping out when pushed through the stud wall solid as a rock wall will fall down first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back