fixing small leak on solder joint

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a main water feed pipe to the electric shower that has a very small weep on a solder joint. It produces a small drip about every hour or so.

The joint is at the end of an S-curved pipe and appears to have been flared by the original plumber to allow the next pipe to join on without a connector, then soldered. This was fitted before we bought the house and I would extimate it is 15 years old.

I therefore can't simply replace the fitting, or the run easily, so is there anyway I can seal the joint?

Sponsored Links
There is a product called Fernox LSX that is a sort of rubberery paste, it sets quickly in the presence of water. It can be smeared over and into the gap. It might cure your problem. It will also fix itself securely to your skin and fingernails.

The problem you will have is that any water pressure in the pipe will prevent you pushing it into the hole. So turn off the supply to the shower and open the tap to relieve pressure. Clean out the old joint with your wife's toothbrush as it may be partially filled with old flux.

You had better start thinking about cutting out the faulty part and inserting a compresssion piece. It is very difficult to re-solder pipes once they are wet.

JohnD you are obviously a man of many talents assuming you are the same JohnD from teh electrical forum. Thnaks.

I have seen Loctite Repair Express Power Putty which claims to seal pipes permanantly. Is this any good.

It's just a real mare to get back to a straight piece of pipe to hack out the single weeping joint.

If you can drain the pipe there is a little trick I tell trainees.

If you use electrical solder this has cores of flux within the solder and the flux is particularly good and will usually enable a repair to be made to a badly soldered plumbing fitting without taking it apart.

It should not be used on pipes carying potable water so it should not be used on your shower fitting if its mains fed.

Thats the latest law but as many houses are supplied by 10 m of lead pipe its come a bit late for many installations.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it is a mains fed shower so I'll have to pass on the electrical solder idea. Thanks anyway.

I guess I can get some Loctite and see if it works, if not I am no worse off

DJM - I know this post was a few years ago but did it the loctite/LSD work? How did you go about fixing? I have a similar problem with minute weep on a pipe.

If it's a temporary repair you want then pipe repair putty will do the job, Evo stick do some I think but a proper soldered/compression fix is the only long term solution.

Easy. If you can vacuum out the water from the pipe.

Paint a good bit of flux onto the joint and using a hot torch brazing torch
heat it up and then apply a goodly amount of solder.
Finish by brushing with more flux after you remove the heat.
That usually cures a leaky joint.
Failing that it's a case of replacing the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back