Fixing to steel framed stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to mount a pair of moderately heavy (6-7kg) loudspeakers to a steel framed stud wall in a local school. I would normally use expansion bolts in a solid wall but obviously they would be no use here. Being a school building, safety is very important. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
i would be inclined to fit an 18mm ply spreader plate the other side of the partition and bolt through into the ply. make sure the ply spans at least two uprights.

Unfortunately I can't put anything on the other side, its another classroom

harv54 said:
Unfortunately I can't put anything on the other side, its another classroom

why not?

if you were to explain the h & s implications to the Head or Dean or whatever, then surely it's in the school's best intrests?

Sponsored Links
The wall the other side is already covered with trunking, white boards etc. Is there any mileage in using a 18mm square of MDF say to spread the load over a much greater area?

absolutely!

an 8'x4' sheet for example, screwed at regular intervals to the uprights, would hold a tonne!

probably.

i would be inclined to use plywood though.

if you can mount to the studs they should be fine.
just make sure you use some fixings with a fairly beefy thread on them.

Plus if its a recently built school wall it will probably have been double boarded with either fire board or duraline board, both of wich can take a fair bit of weight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back