flat beading for wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't touch wooden flooring usually but her indoors has decided we are having it in our dining room ( i'd much rather tile it myself) though will be getting solid stuff. I cant STAND the edging beading you usuually see with these floors and i don't want to take of the skirting boards to hide the expansion joint. Who supplies flat beading as i don't recall seeing any in any merchants?

Sponsored Links
the problem you have supermario is--

the edging is secured to the skirting so unless its"L" shaped there wont be a decent edge to fix to the skirting

if you fix it to the floor it will either stop expansion or leave a gap

Sorry to disagree Big-all, but there is flat beading you pin down to the floor, covering the expansion gap without filling it. It's frequently used where we come from and we introduced it here to our customers also. They all like it, making the finish like a picture frame and not having to replace the skirtingboards or installing this rather ugly (IMHO) quadrants or scotia.
The beading even comes in various woodtypes or colours and are made of solid wood.
It doesn't stop expansion, cause the tiny pins will be lifted when the floor expands that much the beading comes under pressure. (Also early 'warning sign' floor is expanding, sometimes very handy when it's not a season for expansion)

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Sorry to disagree Big-all, but there is flat beading you pin down to the floor, covering the expansion gap without filling it. It's frequently used where we come from and we introduced it here to our customers also. They all like it, making the finish like a picture frame and not having to replace the skirtingboards or installing this rather ugly (IMHO) quadrants or scotia.
The beading even comes in various woodtypes or colours and are made of solid wood.
It doesn't stop expansion, cause the tiny pins will be lifted when the floor expands that much the beading comes under pressure. (Also early 'warning sign' floor is expanding, sometimes very handy when it's not a season for expansion)

you have my full respect w.u.l :D :D

you and your other half do a briliant job ;)

can you please explain how the floor can expand with the flat beading secured to the floor
not having a go at you as you are the expert just curious to learn whats avalable :rolleyes:
[it just seems your asking the floor to defy the laws of physics:cool: ]

Hi Big-all

Well, in fact it's very simple. The flat beading is between 4 and 6 cm wide. The beading is placed on the floor, covering the expansion gap (normally between 10 - 15mm wide). The beading is pinned down to the floor with tiny pins/nails (not thick ones like on of our customers did recently ;), that does does defy the laws of physics) with a nail-gun. The pin/nail is strong enough to hold the beading in place, but 'weak' enough to be pressed out of the floor when the floor expands.
We expect to visit a customer once during the first year the floor is down to place 'expanded' beading back, part of the service and part of the normal working of wood.

aaaaa gotcha :D :D

whilst the floor is "settling down"all the movement occures

mmm my thoughts here are youve either got to repin it up to twice a year !!!!
floor dosnt need as much expansion as recomended[i personaly recon 1mm per mtr is ok once "settled"] which requires the customer to be happy with about 3mm gap some off the time with you system :) ;)

or they get board with it and rip it up rather than get you back ;)

Indeed, we hardly have to return a second time around. Part of our 'four seasons' warrantee is a check of the floor at the end of that period, repinning beading if (still) needed.
We have hardly any complains about small gaps when the floor 'shrinks' (only when it's extreem), we like to educate our customers before, during and after they buy from us and that works really well cause then they understand better that wood works all year round , but mostly in it's first year.

Funny thing is, we've been working with flat beading back home for years and couldn't find a supplier in our early years in the UK. We managed to persuade one of our suppliers to give it a try and now they are flushed with orders for the flat beading from lots of other flooring companies ;)

ok thank for that :) :) :)

can you tell me where i can get this from what lengths it comes in and approximate cost please!!!!!!!!!
i suspect the answer will be see my profile :D :D :D

yep, otherwise the mod gets angry :eek:
If you go to the online shop, disregards the freight cost, they are more 'suitable' for flooring, not for accessories, we'll work them out separately (if needed)

WoodYouLike said:
yep, otherwise the mod gets angry :eek:

its ok i had already looked was just giving you a well deserved plug :D :D :D :D

shame the beading only comes in 2.5 lengths ;)

big-all said:
shame the beading only comes in 2.5 lengths ;)

How long do you wnat them? 2.5 is a standard, but we're (and our supplier) is very flexible

depends on room of course i would say the most usable lengths would be 3 4 or 5m but obviously 4 or 5m would be a logistical nightmare for the post ;)

3 meters wouldn't be a problem for our supplier (but in honest, in long rooms we fit 2 or 3 without any problem, cause there always be some colour differences, but not more than in the floor it self, wood is wood) nor for our courier (depending on where you're based)

40 miles away in surrey :LOL:

to be honest i am just keeping the conversation going for any one thats interested
as i can machine most profiles [especialy flat bits with a 20% champher ;) ]

thanks any way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back