Flipping plumbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my central heating renewed, at the same time as I'm rewiring the property

Having emptied the dormer bedrooms, I lifted all the 8*4 boards to get easy access for both myself and the plumber

The plumber got there first and run the main flow and return the length of the property( from one side of the bungalow to the other ), and has teed off for all the radiators both up and down using front to back runs

It looks a really neat job but has caused me some grief

I have tried to avoid the pipes were I can but find it impossible to do this 100%

Were the cables and pipes cross, he has stayed high on the joists and I have gone as low as possible

What can be used to shield the cables from the heat off the pipes

Sponsored Links
all i can say is be careful were u screw/nail the boards bak down. last year when we got a new boiler in i put a screw thru a pipe but b/c i used a drill i didnt realise til water was comin out the kitchen ceiling

yo could have used
TLSP1.jpg
from tlc

cheers breezer, nice illustration, but what would you do if that cable had to turn 90 degrees (with the proper allowance for min radius etc) , and cross undeneath the pipe?

Sponsored Links
I would give it as much clearance as possible, but if it wasnt touching and a couple of inches away, i'd be happy.

And I would drill joists so cable was always 50mm/2in below top, so I did not need metal plates above it. Pipes have to lie on top, but cables feed through so you can put them lower. Weakens the joist less too, Though that is a bit moot if it has already been notched along the top.

Forget not, heat rises and your cables are underneath. A couple of inches (I mean 50mm) should do it.

will keep the gap as wide as possible and try lagging just for peace of mind

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back