floor boards - sanding- gaps - and finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hope to sand my floorboards in my hall and morning room and I have a few questions. The combined area is 18m2. The boards are all decent quality and quite smooth already. There are quite a few paint marks on the boards, and the gaps are quite small, <2mm. In the morning room part of the room has t&g flooring which is a different wood.
Heres a picture of my hall (morning room follows to the rear):

resized_DSCF0004.jpg

resized_DSCF0005.jpg

Does anyone know what type of wood is in the hall?

Sanding
What type of drum sander do I require, i've read that the basic sanders available from most hire shops do not provide adequate sanding. How many sanding rolls/ sheets would I need and what grit should I use and finish with.

Gap filling
I want to fill the gaps between the floorboards, from all the discussion it appears Lecol is best mixed with the sanding dust (PU80?). However, when i tried to obtain this from a local supplier he suggested that this was not suitable to fill gaps between floorboards only for gaps and dints in parquet flooring. Can anyone confirm successful use of this product to fill gaps between floorboards? Also would wood dust mixed with PVA do the same job? I also had the idea of buying 1 and 2mm card and cutting into strips and sticking in between- any thoughts.

Sealing
Finally for the finish there appears to be many products available. I need something which will finish both sets of boards (t&g and original) the sameish colour, will be hardwearing especially in the hall and can be easily maintained and easily applied. The products i've been interest in to date are

1. Ronseal diamond hard Varnish (with colour to hide the difference in board). I also like the fact Ronseal can be applied whilst standing wit their applicator.

2. Osmo Polyx oil - how would this finish two differnt types of wood?
3. Bona Mega seal - this is a laquer which apparently is very hard wearing, not sure how this would finish different types of wood though

Ideally I'd like to finish my boards so they look something like this:

gal25.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
only thing i know is ages ago on here some one suggested glue and sawdust, untill some one pointed out after a while with floorboard movement it will fall through to below.

think some one else put stirng in the gap

To be honest, i would get in an Expert Floor Sanding Company in to sand your Floor.

If your Floors are not sanded correctly then once you start to apply an Floor Varnish then you would be in for a shock.

I have seen this many, many, many times.

Also, there is 'acrylic based flexible caulk fillers' that are wood coloured. I would use these for your gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back