Floor covering sweating due to pipes too close to surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another query. Our light wooden floor effect lino which had been down for about a year developed a small dirty patch last Feb.On lifting the lino ,it was blackish underneath and the concrete directly under was slightly dampish with maybe a couple of droplets of water on it. For remainder of winter I put down newspaper underneath. I have been told that due to the proximity of the pipes (only 0.5 inches underneath the concrete) a sweating process is occurring. I have been told to put plastic or cork around the pipes to absorb this.However,about five years ago I put a small nail hole in one of the four pipes(these are side by side)and fixed it myself with a permanent repair kit.Obviously I thought this may be the problem so I have just dug around the area and have a clear view of the pipes and my repair.Still intact.Only thing that happens is when the heating goes off two miniscual damp spots appear on the repair site but no water or drips appear at all. Therefore I'm assuming that is not causing the problem. Any solution? I am trying to avoid cutting the pipe if not needed especially if I will still have the same problem. Anyone experienced this phenomenon.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo wide screen

dont know the answer but would assume any residual moisture present
after the leak is unable to evaporate so perhaps before you put the lino
back down insulate as said then give it a few weeks to dry out thorougly
but just a guess :rolleyes:

Thanks for that , however, if anyone else can offer explanations to my points, I'd be grateful

The "sweating" seems like a rubbish term to me. It usually means condensation and that would occur on the outside surface that's cooled. Do as big-all says and leave it uncovered for weeks then it might dry out.

However, my guess is those two damp spots are telling you there's a leak in your apparently sound repair. You don't see it when the pipes are hot as the water evaporates too quickly, but when it's cooled the leak shows itself. These permanent repairs are not good enough on pipes, you need a new section put in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman.I'll take your advice and get a new section fitted.

By the way, my system is 25 years old and not overly efficient do you think it would be safe or indeed practical to put FERNOX through the system to clear out sediment etc or would it be possible to screw it up further by doing this.

Would greatly appreciate your comments on this pls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back