Floor tiled flat roof and outside wall, how to waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct section.

Problem:-

1. I have a place abroad which has a flat sunroof which is covered in floor tiles, apparently they put down some type of `waterproofing` before tiling and so far it appears watertight, however, some of my neighbours have developed slight seepage over the wet winter months and I am thinking it might be time to take some action while it is ok. (I have some pics below)
What if anything can be done to avoid any leaks?

2. The picture of the outside wall has some internal flaking of paint after the Winter months, so far I just scrape it and repaint. I would suspect that this is dampness creeping through the walls over Winter. The walls are only single skin and do not have a damp proof course.
Is there something I could paint the walls with to try and at least reduce the dampness.? The same would apply to the roof of the wall but again as yet no problem with dampness seeping through.
Thanks

May07JimAnne0095.jpg

May07JimAnne0096.jpg

May07JimAnne0094.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice al fresco bathroom :cool:

My gf's mum had a similar problem, she's spanish and has the top apartment with roof terrace. I think her neighbour (a builder) painted something atop the tiles which kept her dry this last winter. What's important is adequate drainage and the fall of the deck so that no water pools, especially at the edges.
At the end of the day though, it's a flat roof, and leaks are an occupational hazard.

Deluks

There are 3 drainage points but the problem is `the fall of the deck` which does pool some water, I think the tiles were laid by `eye` and not by using a spirit level. It would be too expensive to get tiles relaid.
One thing I am going to do is use silicone sealant around the terrace wall/roof joint, but not sure of what to do between the grouted tiles.

Ha Ha just noticed your comment...."Nice al fresco bathroom " Thats the sink for the BBQ at the other side of the roof terrace. Might advertise it as having an outside loo!

hope that ligt switch is waterproof, it looks like the roof drains quite near it.. the wall is stained and the floor is dirty where the water falls..

Sponsored Links
You are of course correct, that was the taps (mains, which are above the light switch) on the wall that were leaking over winter (now sorted) but in any case the electric goes off at the mains after each visit to the place.
The staining of the tiles was caused by the leak, but will have to wait til my next visit to try and clean them.
The roof drains to the rear and down a wastepipe.

Not a lot you can do really without re-laying, the silicone might help and will be better than nothing.

How about buying a big sheet of dpm and holding it down with bricks, at least while you are not staying there. It will keep the water off the tiles anyway. Or some kind of temporary supports holding up a roof, like the house in the background. If you're handy you could knock something up which can easily be demounted when you're there. Where is this place anyway?

I will only re-tile if necessary due to cost, it would probably be cheaper to get the roof as in background house than tiling.

Its in Turkey so 9 months sunshine but 2 months of very very heavy rain, and a month of mixed weather. It never freezes where we are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back