flourescent fitting to a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wish to connect a 4ft flourescent light fitting to a standard 13A plug. Is this Ok/possible or is this a bad idea??/

any comments appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
can be done. use a 3A fusein the plug and flex, not T+E. make sure you put a grommet where the cable enters the fitting, or a gland would be better if itll be moved often

use 1.5mm flex and a compression gland to grip it (i don't think those glands like the smaller sizes of flex)

so long as you use 3 core flex, the flex is secured inside the light, earth is connected at both ends (plug and light) and you put a 3 amp fuse in the plug then yes it will work.

How ever a flourescent by its nature is dangerous as they dont half go bang and make a mess when they fall over. if you are going to permanently fix the light use 1.mm twin and earth and fit a FCU

Sponsored Links
ok im going to stick my neck out here

what is wrong with using plugs and sockets for this kind on a permanent or semi permanent basis?

and if there is anything wrong with it how is it any different from plugging them into those klick sockets where are used all the time on commercial installs?

plugwash said:
ok im going to stick my neck out here

what is wrong with using plugs and sockets for this kind on a permanent or semi permanent basis?

and if there is anything wrong with it how is it any different from plugging them into those klick sockets where are used all the time on commercial installs?

i dont see a problem with using a plug. 1/2 of my room (4 double sockets) was all connected to a plug for over 1 year (i then put a SFCU nxt to the socket for it)

I can think of a very good reason for putting a plug on a fluorescent light fitting. You want to fix it under your kitchen wall units and of course you don't have a spare FCU handy. To make things worse you've just had the walls tiled at considerable expense. It's plug time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back