flourescent light replace with spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if covered already, seen similar topics but not exactly. Any advise pls - I've got two black wires joined together and going to N and one white wire going to L of old flourescent strip light. I want to replace this with a new-type N E L block - this is for a 3 bulb-in-one light. Looks like I'm missing Earth - guess this could be problem. Can i wire it as it was - 2 black to N and 1 white to L??

thanks a lot..

Sponsored Links
your missing an earth and thats a bad thing you really shulodn't fit a light fitting thats supposed to be earthed without one.

not that you are really making things any worse by replacing one light that should be earthed but isn't with another. but you should really either try and sort out the earthing (which may be easier said than done) or get hold of a light fitting that doesn't require an earth.

borrowing an earth from a socket is another possibilityand certainly better than not earthign the fitting at all but ideally the lighting cuircuit should be rewired to include an earth

If your new light needs an earth, and there isn't one in the lighting circuit, then you either need to choose a different light fitting or rewire to provide an earth.

What sort of cable is the connection at the moment? Black/Black/White is not the usual stuff - can you trace it back to a junction box or ceiling rose where the lighing circuit cables are?

at a guess its a singles install with white used for the switched lives

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
at a guess its a singles install with white used for the switched lives
if that is the case, it would expalin nop earth, its in steel conduit.

daveo, any chance of a pic?

or more info as to what these wires are coming out of (if anything)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back