Flourescent lights and magnetic fields

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post, so hello to all.

I've just fitted an Eterna flourescent fitting in my workshop. Electronic ballast driving an Osram T18 tube. The light works, but seems very feeble; certainly nothing like the claimed "equivalent to 2 x 60W bulbs" on the packaging.

Then I realised that sitting in storage on the joists just above the fixture are two 18inch loudspeaker drivers. These create a fairly strong magnetic field, which makes me wonder if this field will affect the ability of a flourescent fitting (or its electronic ballast) to operate properly. Naturally I could find out by moving the drivers elsewhere, but in the meantime, does anyone know if magnetic fields affect flourescents?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Never come across this but a flourecent tube works by exciting the coating on the inside of the tube, is it possible the speaker drivers are dampening the tube.

That's what I wondered; whether the tube is being paralysed by the static field from the loudspeakers. I'll try moving the drivers and see if I'm blinded by the light (sorry...).

Some wisdom from Don Klipstein in the US: magnetic fields shouldn't affect the fixture in such a way as to reduce the light output (although they do cause other lesser effects). So I guess it's down to the light not being sufficiently powerful for my needs. Time to get a bigger one then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back