flow and return

DWS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had a new boiler fitted in the summer ( the old boiler was 15years old
although the heating and hot water worked fine ) now the central heating is fine ( very hot ) but the water is less than luke warm .
I have checked the cylinder thermostat ( seems fine ) As The boiler is high up ( not easy to get to ) and the pipes are behind fixed kitchen units ( not easy access ) I have drawn up a diagram of the pipe layout and it looks to me that the plumber ( a friend of a friend ) may have mixed up the flow and return pipes ( he had a breakdown shortly afterwards )
The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 30-80 , to try to explain layout diagram as follows :
the Boiler Return pipe goes to the pump which goes to to bottom connection of the 3 way valve from there one pipe goes to CH one to Hot water
The flow pipe from the boiler goes to cylinder and CH.

does this make sense ?

Sponsored Links
the Boiler Return pipe goes to the pump which goes to to bottom connection of the 3 way valve from there one pipe goes to CH one to Hot water
The flow pipe from the boiler goes to cylinder and CH.
does this make sense ?

the flow should go to the pump then the 3 port valve :eek:

Yes it should of course, or the boiler won't like it.
But why would the HW not get hot enough, chaps?
Maybe the pump's the gnorw way round too, and the 3 port valve is letting by, but even so...
Wiring error?

ChrisR said:
Yes it should of course, or the boiler won't like it.
But why would the HW not get hot enough, chaps?
Maybe the pump's the gnorw way round too, and the 3 port valve is letting by, but even so...
Wiring error?

the arrow on the pump is pointing towards the return ( when i mentioned this to the plumber he said it didn't matter )

Sponsored Links
the arrow on the pump is pointing in the direction of the return,
when I mentioned this to the plumber he said it didn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back