Flueless gas fires?

Sponsored Links
They need a great big vent in the room.
I wouldn't personally have one.
And as i understand it British Gas won't carry out any work one either.

I quite like them, there are some nice looking designs, they are 100% efficient (compared to the usual 40 to 60), the 100cm squared ventilation is no worse than a dfe or a back boiler requires, not unusual. Whereas it is true that this is permanent ventilation so cools your house 24 hours a day 365 days a year, I know that if I had a flueless fire a puffet would get shoved against the vent when the fire wasn't in use (pretend I didn't say that).

When I put my analyser on the outlet of them there is no trace of CO.

On the converse a ilfe or dfe fire can be quite a danger since the flues I come across in most situations are quite dangerous, causing spillage of products of combustion into the room. However these are sometimes unsafe products of combustion, or soon become so, unlike those from a fire designed so.

If you really must have a gas fire I have no objection to a flueless one.

I wouldn't have any gas fire at home, or a gas cooker. Room sealed boiler/hot water is as much as I want in my house which burns hydrocarbons.

These days we look back at the way medievil people lived in a hut with a fire in the middle as just that medievil.

One day people will look back on folk who have open flued and flueless hydrocarbon appliances as medievil too.

I know there's something wrong with that spelling but if you can't understand me try Chaucer.

"And as i understand it British Gas won't carry out any work one either."

that's a distinct advantage!

and yes im surprised how privative gas apliences are. Crude... I just saw some flue less fires when searching for cheep gas fires, and thought it a good idea in theory, 100% of the heat goes into the room etc... but im not at all sure id trust it, which is illogical. I trust a coal fire and that's more privative! Just museing as we dont actuly have any heating at present!

(our gas back boiler got cut off by British gas...long story... but the report says Inadiquet ventilation.... the engineer looked at the window vent. Yesterday when painting the wall i noticed there's another howling draft coming thro an air brick in the front wall too. )

Sponsored Links
sidecar_jon said:
"And as i understand it British Gas won't carry out any work one either."

that's a distinct advantage!

BG are awaiting evidence that the appliances are still safe when the catalytic converters fail....currently debatable.

sidecar_jon said:
"(our gas back boiler got cut off by British gas...long story... but the report says Inadiquet ventilation.... the engineer looked at the window vent. Yesterday when painting the wall i noticed there's another howling draft coming thro an air brick in the front wall too. )

Lol...how do you expect the engineer to spot it if you don't even know its there in your own house :?: :?:

no i don't expect British gas to know thier job anymore i've been cured of that... so far we have had three "customer satisfaction" surveys i do keep telling them, we haven't an argument with the engineer, meerly the advertiseing and their practice. curently we have another (second) letter asking to "sort it out" with them, i hope we do lol, cos its getting dammed parky now.

and on flueless fires yes im not convinced that the only nasty thing released by burning gas is CO...

sidecar_jon said:
no i don't expect British gas to know thier job anymore i've been cured of that... so far we have had three "customer satisfaction" surveys i do keep telling them, we haven't an argument with the engineer, meerly the advertiseing and their practice. curently we have another (second) letter asking to "sort it out" with them, i hope we do lol, cos its getting dammed parky now.

Go on, fill us in. If the fire has been turned off because it's 'At Risk' then first of all it can only be turned off with your permission, secondly the ventilation regulations are industry wide nothing to do with BG, and thirdly if you now find you have sufficient ventilation give BG a ring to turn it back on, otherwise get more adequate ventilation and all is ok. Or is it something a little more complicated?

complicated it is.... im still confused about weather it was turned off due to thier regualtions or danger, the report says ventilation..ok fine .... but in the mean time i moved the fire guard (keep our five yr old away from it) while painting the front room and oops pretty much the whole fire front fell over and those white brick things plumeted to the floor and broke..(it hadnt been bolted back to the wall) ..so im presumeing its all cream crakerd now... And lol.. we aplied for a "homewarm" grant to fix it all...trouble is they are saying six weeks to have alook and asses it..and six months to actuly do anything...which would make it a nice warm summer lol.

at present two options are theoreticly open, find a Corgi bloke see if a gas fire can be put in the hole (ignoring the back boiler)...or put a coal fire in the space (asumeing that can be done)...

Forgive me for missing something here but what has that got to do with BG.

..sorry been going on a while....wife got British gass to coem round to inspect our central heating for one of their "we cover any boiler" maintanace contracts..and they switched it off, leaveing us hot water and heat less.. fine i should have checked it before buying the house lol but anyway im still confused by the sequance of events.

well technicaly we did..they sent another engineer round,,, but he phoned the last engineer and didnt actuly look at anything lol.... cant find a Corgi guy i trust round here.... or can aford 'cos we are pretty broke broke after the house move..

Never fails to amaze me how people phone up to get there appliances checked for safety and when whoever says no there not safe an they are turning it of to save your life and your kids lives they are then the biggest bunch of bassa`s out there.

Hang on go back a notch. If the unsafe situations form just sais ventilation then the answer was drill a hole in the wall and install ventilation. This is the inspectors fault for not clearly stating this option to the customer. The fire front would not have fallen apart if he'd never been to the house.

I suggest you do get a local independent corgi registered fitter round on the basis he checks your ventilation, improves it as required, services your back boiler, buys new radiants for the fire and services that, does the flue inspection and spillage tests and leaves you with a safe working heating system to possibly last you 10 or 20 years while you get through the difficult period of having just bought a house.

Second option if money is tight and boiler is us, is that he takes off the gas valve for the back boiler and caps off the pipe coming from the three way gas cock to the boiler, drain the pipework and leave an open end where the flow/return pipes come out of the boiler, leaving the fire front in use, new radiants service checks and you have a fire.

There have been a few cases of rogue elements selling people new heating systems on the back of the changes to unsafe situations procedures through inadequate ventilation which are unjustified because all you need to do is provide some new ventilation.

Paul Barker said:
Second option if money is tight and boiler is us, is that he takes off the gas valve for the back boiler and caps off the pipe coming from the three way gas cock to the boiler, drain the pipework and leave an open end where the flow/return pipes come out of the boiler, leaving the fire front in use, new radiants service checks and you have a fire.

Paul is this now an authorized procedure? as last I heard it was allowed to operate the boiler with a decommissioned fire but not vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back