fluorescent light removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all just like to pick your brains im changeing my fluorescent light how ever i hit a problem when i took the light down ive found not three wires comeing out the ceiling but two and not just that they are not coulored they are both white now my new light has three one of these is the earth but no earth comeing from ceiling it is a flat roof extension ive made a bigger hole in the ceiling but the same two white wires so how would i be able to connect three wires to two and which one is live or will i need a sparky if you can help thank you very very much

Sponsored Links
thats a long sentance...... dont suppose you could take a photo? they often make these things soo much easier

nasty

it isn't safe to use the light without an earth connected but any means of adding new cable is going to be messy.....

chrisrogers sorry mate it was long but it took me 30 minutes to write it and as for getting a photo im afraid i do not know if this is going to the right place for you to read so photo unless i can stick it on the screen and you can see it im afraid thats a humongus no but thanks anyway my wife is the wizkid and she is getting her beauty sleep and no she does not need it

Sponsored Links
In the lower right-hand side of your keyboard, to the right of the L and the M keys, you'll find keys with various punctuation characters on them. These can be used to make your posts easier to read.

ban-all-sheds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the lower right-hand side of your keyboard, to the right of the L and the M keys, you'll find keys with various punctuation characters on them. These can be used to make your posts easier to read.
Only if .,.,.,:;' Are put in the correct place

Thanks ban-all-sheds for the punctuation lesson.,! "-/,. Sadly I was under the impression that this was an adult forum where I could receive DIY advice. You, I imagine you get great pleasure from criticism and negative feedback. I hope you got a buzz from your inappropriate response and would be grateful if you would reply in a more positive and appropriate way to a perfectly valid query if you have any DIY knowledge. Sorry if my lack of intelligence insults and offends you but I await with interest your corrections on my grammar and puntuation in this message as I'm certain to learn a lot from you if only on how NOT to correspond to a complete stranger in need. Thanks for wasting my time. I should hope in future that replies on this site would be monitored for only sensitive and appropriate replies.

I never said I was insulted or offended, and I never said anything about your level of intelligence.

And you may well have a perfectly valid query, but if you can't be bothered to do people the courtesy of writing it intelligibly then why should people do you the courtesy of providing help?

Lorn said:
I should hope in future that replies on this site would be monitored for only sensitive and appropriate replies.

Welcome to the forums Lorn, you must remember this is a public forum, you are free to type as you wish, so long as it does not breach the forum rules, how ever a post with no punctuation is hard to read / follow

Lorn said:
Thanks ban-all-sheds for the punctuation lesson.,! "-/,. Sadly I was under the impression that this was an adult forum where I could receive DIY advice. You, I imagine you get great pleasure from criticism and negative feedback. I hope you got a buzz from your inappropriate response and would be grateful if you would reply in a more positive and appropriate way to a perfectly valid query if you have any DIY knowledge. Sorry if my lack of intelligence insults and offends you but I await with interest your corrections on my grammar and puntuation in this message as I'm certain to learn a lot from you if only on how NOT to correspond to a complete stranger in need. Thanks for wasting my time. I should hope in future that replies on this site would be monitored for only sensitive and appropriate replies.

Hey! That's much better!!

Apologies in advance for any offence (not really). If you can't be bothered to even write in sentences then how in the world do you expect others to believe you might have the maturity to understand their replies? If (due to your own negligence) your questions are hard to decipher, there's a good chance you'll get no response at all.

Grow up, ask nicely, be grateful for any help and stop whining.

Beautifully said Dingbat!!

Lorn, your original post looked like it was written by an underachieving 10 year old!

It's twice as difficult to understand as a correctly punctuated one.

As has been said, why should anyone here spend time helping you if you can't even be bothered to explain yourself properly.

Sorry if my query was difficult to read. I did not mean to offend anyone in my last post. My computer and english skills are not great. I have found your information very useful and wanted to contribute to the forum. I will try harder in future and will not post until my skills are more advanced.

Lorn said:
Sorry if my query was difficult to read. I did not mean to offend anyone in my last post. My computer and english skills are not great. I have found your information very useful and wanted to contribute to the forum. I will try harder in future and will not post until my skills are more advanced.
On the basis of this, and the post from yesterday your computer and English skills are perfectly OK, and you don't need to wait for them to become more advanced.

You've shown that you can use punctuation etc, so now there is no problem.

Let`s try and actually help Lorn shall we? :) Have you looked at the wires in the switch for the light. What colours are there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back