Flushing Out a Central Heating system ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if any one can help i have posted earlier about cleaning the Heat exchanger on my Britony se 80 Combi Boiler.The boiler is now running i would say 80% ok on the hot water side 100% Central Heating
Would flushing the system out then filling with a system cleaner running it for a week or so with the cleaner in then draining and flushhing out and refilling again clean the heat exchanger.
Thank you for your help In advance regards Graham

Sponsored Links
myoldflowerpot said:
The boiler is now running i would say 80% ok on the hot water side...
What does this mean?

How is the "20%" reduction in "running" making itself known to you?

I guess the hot water delivery isn't as good as you reckon it it should be, and if the CH performance is ok then draining and flushing wouldn't make any diifference as it'll probably be the tap water side of the heat exchanger that is to blame.

I've just had a combi installed and as a precaution against this, I'm going to fit one of those magnetic conditioners to the incoming cold feed. No need to pay silly money, I'm looking at one on ebay for under £12.

The sellers of these devices claim they will also gradually remove existing limescale so you may want to consider one. I think for £12 it's worth a try.

Even at £12 your wasting your money :rolleyes: The only real way to protect from scale is a water softner. 2nd best is the likes of a cartridge based system such as 'combiguard', that you change once a year. Good luck ;)

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Even at £12 your wasting your money :rolleyes: The only real way to protect from scale is a water softner. 2nd best is the likes of a cartridge based system such as 'combiguard', that you change once a year. Good luck ;)

I'll let you know whether or not it makes any difference then. I know they sound like nonsense but the sellers have shedloads of good feedback.

Its ok if you dont turn the tap on full gets hot more or less as it should do turn the tap on full then its just warm
Thank you

I've fitted these before and they don't make the slightest bit of difference.

I fitted one in one of my own homes years ago and after 4 years it still had made no difference.

I know they sell loads but this does not make them good, probably people looking for a cheap solution :rolleyes: Trouble is by the time you realise they are no good your dhw hex is scaled up :eek:

remember your boiler is only a 10 litre a minute(@^35) boiler. the best way to check how your boiler is going with the hot water is with a flow cup and a thermometer.

Dave , have you fitted a permanent magnet type of conditioner?

If so is it on the inlet of a combi? ( Vaillant one assumes! )

Tony

Yes I used to fit magnetic or electrolytic types. Not an Vaillants, but when I used to fit the cheap Ideal Mini combis, and yes on cold water inlet. When I then started fitting Isars I then changed to the Sentinel Combiguard, but after a lot of problems with then I stopped, which was also at the time I swapped to fitting Vaillant, which of course do not need a scale inhibitor due to their anti scale warranty.

I have never personally seen any results that point to or confirm that the magnetic or electrolytic ones work.

gas4you said:

I'll let you know whether or not it makes any difference then. I know they sound like nonsense but the sellers have shedloads of good feedback.

A year later.

I've just swapped out a shower valve. Nothing wrong with it, just a small step in a big project. The valve was brand new a year ago and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that the interior of both the inlet ports is absolutely pristine. You wouldn't know it had been used.

The one it replaced had been was leaking through and both the inlet ports were found to be scaled up when it was removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back