flying earth!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to those who helped me with my metal faceplates query. I should have asked at the time - where do I get the earthing wire from for those extra flying earths in for metal faceplates? I can't find it in my local diy store (there aren't that many round here).

I have some twin & Earth cable for ring mains and sockets - can i strip out the bare earth wire from this cable and use that? I have green/yellow plastic cover somewhere too to enclose it.

Sponsored Links
If it is correctly sized, yes.

The earth must be atleast half the size of the live and neutral (table 54g), or calculated.

So, for a circuit with a 2.5mm live, you would need a 1 1/4 earth......so you use a 1.5mm earth.

NOTE:

1mm T+E has a 1mm earth
2.5mm T+E has a 1.5mm earth
4mm T+E has a 1.5mm earth
6mm T+E has a 2.5mm earth
10mm T+E has a 4mm earth

A drum of single core multi-strand cable would be better though.....

you can use a core from T&E in sleeving if you wan't though the sleeving is a bit on the bulky side.

if you wan't to get some 1.5mm (same size as the earth in 2.5mm T&E) single earth cable to do a neater job you'll probablly have to go to an electrical wholesaler.

Sponsored Links
Hmm!

The spare T&E I have is 2.5mm. Does that sound like a safe size and I am I likely to be blown sky high if it is the wrong size?

I must admit, never thought it was so complex to fit a faceplate!!

This should be such a simple job!

Hello again.

The middle (earth) core from your spare 2.5mm cable will be fine. Make sure you cover it with earth sleeving, easy as that ;)

I was rather hoping to sell you some ready-made earthing leads, 2.5mm, sleeved, 150mm long, stripped ends, £5 each ;)

10% discount if you buy 100 or more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back