Footing for Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to dig out the footings for my garage conversion myself but am unsure as to the size required, the wall will only be blocking up the garage door and only goes up to meet the bedroom above the garage
( Integral Garage ).

The wall will carry a normal 1800 x 1050 window. obviously it will be a cavity wall but how wide does it have to be and what depth of concrete is required ?

Any one got any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
This will come under building regulation and difference area have difference size footing depending on clay condition.

In my area, garage footing are normally 750mm (D) x 450mm (W) but 5 miles away they have to have 1500mm deep footing because of poor clay condition.

Your building control dept will be able to help you.

I agree with masona. Footing size is purely dependant on load and ground conditions and are tabled in the Building Regs.
For a single storey cavity 500x200 at a depth of 900 will be OK but is dependant on ground condition and your Local Authority. Give them a ring.

Sponsored Links
The foundation concrete needs to be not much more than the width of the wall. Add approx 50mm each side of the wall - so if the wall is 300mm wide make the foundation 400mm wide.

As for depth -depends on ground conditions. Minimum 1000 then keep going until you get to good natural ground. Check with Bldng Control to make sure they are happy before you pour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back