ford fiesta clutch pedal ratchet

C

cabot

I currently run a fiesta diesel which has been great since i bought it last year.i've had the cam belt changed and also replaced the glow plugs myself.However the clutch pedal has an annoying habit of sinking to the floor just when you don't expect it.I understand its a common fault and the part involved only costs about a tenner.Before i put it in a garage has anyone ever changed one before and could describe what exactly is involved as im aware that its a bit fiddly and a pain in the bac*****.

Sponsored Links
Yes, its a pain, your right!

Release clutch cable from arm, then its a case of removing a spring clip and a pin which can be tight fittingand a series of plastic bushes.
Pedal will then be free. Then its a case of refit the ratchet mechanism, to the pedal, taking care to put the pawl on the right way arond, and clip. All whilst holding it together under the pressure of the spring.
Then refit the clutch cable.

Be carefull to get the bushes seated correctly, and the cable over the top of the ratchet and in the slot properly.

You may need a helper when it comes to refitting the cable, sometimes wiggle out as you try and connect the other end. Very frustrating :mad:

Hitachimad is right, but the job is very frustrating, you need to be as supple as a ballet dancer. You should have a look in a workshop manual, it will give you the info you need.
johnwr

Sorry for my ignorance but i was contacted by Ford after giving them the registration number and told that the car has in fact a hydraulic clutch.I have also noticed a very slight fluid drip around the offside of the car and a drop in the power steering reservoir.Are the two of them linked to each other?i have topped up the fluid and noticed a dramatic iimprovement in the steering :confused:I cant seem to locate the leak but had it suggested to me that it may be coming from the seals on the slave cylinder any ideas would be welcome.If its an easy job i'll tackle it myself; or is it a repair best left to a garage.

Sponsored Links
I think you have two problems.

1) Leak on the power steering

The power steering is a system on it's own,you need to look carefully from the reservoir to the rack and find where you are loosing fluid.

2) Clutch fault

The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir(trace the feed line from the gearbox). The slave cylinder is located on the input shaft and is integral with the thrust bearing in the bellhousing.You need to check this system for leaks especially under the car where the bellhousing and engine meet.If there is no leaks,have the brake fluid tested at a garage(only takes about 10 mins.) If that is o.k. then I would point to the master cylinder.

;)
This brake /clutch system is safe.One can not effect the other except the quality of the fluid.

you are correct.i have fixed the power steering fault by replacing the 2 corroded pipes that run behind the front bumper.unfortunately the clutch seems to be a pain and as the garage replaced 2 brake pipes- either i have air in the system or the clutch slave cylinder is kaput! any one have any idea what the cost is of replacing a clutch/slave cylinder and bearing on a fiesta diesel would cost? :( i have also been told there is a bleed valve for the clutch........does anyone have any idea of the location of this.The brakes on the car seem spot on and can stop the car in a second.

The bleed nipple is next to where the hydraulic pipe goes into the gearbox,usually covered with a little rubber cap.
Is your car pre 1999 ? If so, it has a pre-loading valve in the system (this could be faulty).

If you don't have a leak on the system and the valve is o.k.(if fitted) look to the master cylinder.

You will not get air lock in the clutch system by working on the brakes.

Changing the clutch slave cylinder entails removal of the gearbox(very expensive garage job) I would suggest you obtain a Haynes manual and read up on the clutch before you do anything.
;)

Hi I have the same problem, the clutch pedal sticking down,I have put a pipe clamp on the flexible pipe between the master cylinder and the slave and the pedal still stays down ,so I think it's the master cylinder or oil pressure valve.

could some one tell me where the valve is located.

Sponsored Links
Back