Ford KA black bumpers gone grey HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have just brought a 1998 Ford KA.

The front bumper is the black plastic type that make the KA look like it's wearing a nappy.

It has gone a bit grey and I was wondering if anyone knows of a product that will bring it up to match the rear (which is surprisingly black still- replaced maybe?).

Any ideas/suggestions would be really useful.

Cheers,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Armorall.

It will also make tyres look glossy and black, and will bring the shine onto hoses under the bonnet. It is a sort of liquid polish, you spray or wipe it on, leave it to soak in, wipe off the excess. You can re-apply it when you wash the car. It is a milky liquid and not expensive. Motorists toyshops sell it. You want the one in the white plastic bottle. I think it is called Armorall Protectant. I apply it with a brush or rag to prevent overspray onto painted or glass surfaces.

Keep it off glass, steering wheels, pedals.

autoglym bumper care is the best ive used,dont know how long it will last on badly faded bumpers though,i have heard that peanut butter does a similar job but never tried it myself

Sponsored Links
yes, the white bottle, and called protectant. It is the most widely sold of their range.

if you can find it, MER plastic cleaner.

I did mine and someone thought i had had a crash and changed the bumper

protectorant....from a car shop Not protective from a chemist :rolleyes: :LOL:

Vegetable oils will darken it because they will "wet" the plastic, but later they will become sticky. Similarly any varnish type product will darken grey plastic. Is Armorall a paint or a varnish? I would be asking this question at a car bodyshop, who might recommend a black plastic paint.

Armorall is a sort of polish. It goes on like milk, but makes the surface look dark and shiny.

Have you tried Sudocrem on the little bleeder? :LOL:
The dulling is caused by a combination oxidation, UV and abrasion and is easy enough to cover up in the short term with any of the methods mentioned above however none of them will last very long and you will have to re-apply these products regularly. There is a product available that's like a dull non glossy lacquer that actually coats the bumper and prevents the air, water and very direct sunlight etc. coming into contact with the actual plastic. This however does little if the bumper is already faded. You can buy dedicated bumper paint and apply it but the finished result will depend on the quality of finish you can achieve. You can also try coating it with any silicone based product but this again is only temporary.
It's also worth noting that some bumpers are meant to be grey and maybe it's the front one that's been replaced with one of a different shade.

Try a blow torch....on a inconspicuos area first...trust me on this one! :D

Amorall looks great on application but after a few rain showers it starts to run and leaves a ghosting on the paintwork.

I'd recommend a couple of applications of the Auto Glym Bumper Care and should last a good time.

you bought a KA and you're worried about what the bumper looks like....? :eek:

have them painted body colour or dark grey. it makes that particular vehicle more attractive.

Another vote for autoglym.

I had a mate once who used Armorall all over his car including the pedals...... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back