Forstner bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a set of these when I bought my router but have yet to use them. I have just read that they should only be used in a drill or press. Why?

charlie

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Because the centre point is very short, and larger diameters can be dangerous in a hand-held drill... if not held absolutely upright, the cutting edge will bite before the point, and the thing will run away to the side and into your groin. Beware!!

Forstner bits are not intended to be used in a router.
They should only ever be used in a drill press.
Even if you did have a bit the same size as the router collett it would be so long that the base would be above the bit.
The second the bit touched the wood at 20,000rpm the router would be wrenched out of your hands (possibly breaking the wrists) with the bit spinning uncontrollably cutting whatever part of your body it reached.
Only do this if you want to sing soprano.

Yes, that's putting it a bit more bluntly. Never try a normal Forstner in a router. Stick with the drill press.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the (dramatic!) explanation. What's the difference between a pillar drill and a press?

charlie

charlie_parker said:
What's the difference between a pillar drill and a press?

charlie
No difference.
They are just different names for the same tool.
I believe that a drill press is the American term and pillar drill is the English term.
I used pillar drills at work for many years and never heard the term drill press until watching an America woodworking programme on TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back