foundation over sewerage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm building one storey extension onto my 5m wide mid-terrace house in Dublin. I dug the trench parallel to the house only to find that the sewerage pipe for my street runs under the inner edge of the trench. :rolleyes:
Is it okay to pour founations over where the pipe lays? If not, I'll have to move the trench out a further six inches. This means the sewerage pipe runs inside the extension. Is this okay? And it'll have to be bridged where the side walls will cross the pipe. I'll also have to put shuttering in place when pouring the founds so the concrete isn't directly over the pipe.

All comments / suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Normally we bridge them over with concrete lintel bedded onto footing. This should be on your drawing plan and the advice should come from your building inspector as this is very important to get this right.

When I built my kitchen extension, the BI made an extra visit to see the foundations each side of the pipe with the lintol bridging over it. The layout had to be shown on the plans with the necessary reinforcement shown.

No building inspectors in Ireland!
Your architrect, or Engineer being the common term oversees the build.
Can be a good thing but can also be catastrophic ....... I built a house a couple of years back and did not see sight nor sound of the engineer untill the completion sign off, whereby he spent aproximately two and a half minutes on site to pop his head into each room. If I had been inclined I could (and many do) have gotten away with blue murder and no one would have been any the wiser.
You may have to dig over the usual depths that are standard in Ireland to get below the pipework and subsequently bridge the sewer which shouldnt be a problem as the footing width will be the Irish reg of 36" so plenty of room for manouvre.

Sponsored Links
When we applied for planning etc for an extension, we had a similar dilemma. We were told that the pipe would have to be re-routed as it was shared, and not be under the extention in case there was a need for repair works to the pipe.

Anyone else had experience of this?

We didn't build the thing in the end tho!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back