Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Have just dug a trench foundation for a porch and discovered that on one side of the foundation a soil pipe runs in the centre and all the way parallel with the foundation. I have dug foundations for other projects and found soil pipes that are 90 degrees to the footing so the boxed in bridging method was used with lintels but this little bugger runs all the way in the centre of the foundation. The pipe itself is at the bottom of the foundation as the correct depth has been reached so the top of the pipe is barely visible but any ideas as to what to do with this pipe prior to pouring concrete.
Any advice greatly appreciated.......Cheers

Sponsored Links
As the pipe would crush if you put your foundation on it (leaving you with blocked drains and a cracked building) I think you have 2 options-

1. Dig the foundation to below the level of the pipe (so approx 300mm below all the shingle et al and leave the pipe running alongside the brick n' blockwork (which would have to start at the invert level of the pipe or lower).

OR

2. Divert the pipe so its not in your foundation.

i im reading this right the pipe is running along your trench at the bottom. Dig the trench a little wider and put some shuttering down either side of the pipe. Pour the concrete so you have two small strips either side of it. Bridge over the top for its length with dense concrete blocks laid on their side and build off of them. its only supporting a porch so it shouldnt be a problem

Sponsored Links
Hi - What would you suggest if the foundations were being dug for an extension side wall (ie greater loading)? We have a drains chamber running across our boundary with access available from our neighbour's side. Would the solution be more or less the same, ie. digging wider trench with a concrete lintel over the drains? (Unfortunately moving the drains isn't an option for us).
Thanks
:)

I had similar problem on my extension, building inspector allowed us to beyond max permitted which left drain untouched but within / under my building

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back