Framing a shirt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im new and not sure if this is in the right place, but wondered if anyone could help.

I have several signed football shirts that I want to frame to hang on my wall, but looking around, frames either look tacky and cheap or are extremely expensive. Surely they cant be that hard to make?? Any ideas?? Anyone done this before??

Also if anyone has recommended dimensions, equipment and materials (should I use glass or perspex?).

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome the dt :D:D

i personaly would go for a box desighn with about 3 or 4" depth and a wooden framed glazed frame door

this will allow you to move the shirt in a 3D fashion for example the sleeve across the front to look a bit nicer
would also allow you to place programs trophies whatever around the shirt or in front and could be attached to the glass

dont forget the fabric may suffer from exposure to sun or natural day light and fade

Thats what I was thinking also - but I do need further help - I am a COMPLETE novice and really need more specific help in terms of measurements and instructions.

I have had these shirts for a long time and would really like to get them displayed ASAP.

Sponsored Links
ok if you dont think your up to any "complicated "stuff try this

go and buy a chunky picture frame big enough for your shirts
take the backing out cut all but the 1"around the edge[to make a 1"frame]
this will hide the fixing clips, keep the glass in tight , frame the contents,and hide any rough edges of the box behind

make a box from lengths of planed timber [perhaps 4"x1"]95mmx 19mm in BXQ language :LOL:

butt join the box glue and screw
plan the box so you can drill 6 brass screws through the frame into the box avoiding the glass [one central short edges 2 evenly spaced along the long edges

nail and glue 6mm mdf onto the back off the box
line the box with material, mirror, metal effect plastic or whatever shows the shirts off at there best

affix 2 mirror brackets onto the back at the top sticking up so you can lift them off easy one on the bottom as well if you dont want it to come off the wall easily the bottom one upside down as it where so you have to take the screw out the bottom one to release the cabinet
https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=67864&id=14738

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back