FreeSat and standby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure right place to post, but a television isn't computer hardware is it?

We recently had a FreeSat (Skybox without the subscription) installed, Great pictures on our 10 year old Philips Widescreen 'Match-Line' television now, but...
frequently the tv goes on standby out its own will, interrupting the program we're watching (and we can't have that for the next footy weeks can we now?) We then have to switch the tv off and back on again to restore picture.
Is this to do with the skybox or with the TV?

Sponsored Links
I've got Freesat. Now I don't know *too* much, but I would think that this is a TV problem rather than anything to do with Sky?

I assume that your box is connected via a Scart lead? The only way that the Sky box could be at fault would be if your TV was clever enough to shut down when it detected no incoming signal.

Other than that, I don't know!

wedge69 said:
... if your TV was clever enough to shut down when it detected no incoming signal.

My Panasonic TVs are clever enough to do that.

Have you still got the aerial connected as well as the Scart?

JohnD said:
wedge69 said:
... if your TV was clever enough to shut down when it detected no incoming signal.

Have you still got the aerial connected as well as the Scart?
No, we haven't. Now I must say the on/off button on our tv set is a bit of a wobly affair, think the 'spring' is gone a bit. coudl that have something to do with to?
Hubby thinks it has to do with skybox sending random signals out, interfering with the normal reception? I think the tv is a goner.

Sponsored Links
Look in that big folder "Instruction manuals" is the top drawer of your home filing cabinet, go to section "TV and HiFi", subsection "Philips" and see if yours has an auto-standby when no signal.

My TVs are of similar age and do have it.

See if the installation diagram shows how to install Satellite and see if it shows the TV aerial being plugged in as well (mine do).

Poke in an aerial co-ax and see if this helps

My cable set-top box doesn't have teletext, so I have connected and have to use the off-air channels via the aerial if I want to use it.

dont know if its the same
but my dad had a tv that would randomly turn its self on !!! imediatly after you turned it off

i have a tv that done this a few times over about 5 years and i dont have satelite connections
but the remote control worked on both affected tvs[same frequency]

Well, to cut a long story short: we had a very old fashioned evening yesterday evening: Jahtzee (dice game, not sure if it's called here the same?) and Scrabble ;)
Television had given the ghost early in the evening, kept switching to standby and no matter how many times we tried, it wouldn't 'budged' and we gave up.
So, hubby is on his way to buy a new set ;)

TVs with no signal power off usually have a time delay, about 5 minutes. Perhaps the scart pin that carries the "incoming signal" (video "play", sky box "on") command is knackered.

if its connected by a scart lead, take the ends apart and disconnect pin 8. this is the pin that the box uses to send signals (like standy) to the TV/whatever is on the other end

(edited - wrong pin number listed)

I have a similar problem.. occasionally my TV clicks off then switches back on :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: it also used to happen to my former TV but i used to get prior warning because all black lines appeared on the screen :confused:

ive got sky+ and a sony TV

It had nothing to do with the skybox it turned out. We reconnected the old fashion areal and tv was just knaggered (kept switching to standby with flickering light also).
We now have a brand new 'old fashion' widescreen set and are looking forward to the uninterrupted footie (hup Holland hup ;))

Sponsored Links
Back