friction hinges



Am going to sound like a complete thicko here.... :oops:

I need to replace a few hinges and handles on uPVC windows at home - am I right in thinking that as the windows open out horizontally (i.e bottom moves out and top stays put) that I need top-hung hinges?

...also is this going to be a relatively simple task (am a scientist, not a window fitter) ?

Typically the windows were fitted by a local company who went 'bust' very soon after (else I'd get 'em for the shoddy materials used!)

Hints and tips welcome
Sponsored Links
29 May 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am not an expert but I think that even though your windows appear to hinge from the top, they are, in fact, side mounted hinges with a friction "slider" running in a stainless steel channel. which holds the window open. I have found these very easy to remove and replace and it might be that all you need to do is to remove them, give them a good clean and check over, and replace. If you do, in fact, have top mounted hinges, this is, I think, a bit unusual with UPVC and how is the window held open with this type of hinge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links