Fridge freezer operating in cold temperatures?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move our spare fridge freezer into the garage. Temperatures in here fall below 0 in winter.

Someone (electrian friend) has suggested that the fridge freezer may not operate in temperatures so cold.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo bjb

there is only one thermostat in a fridge freezer and its located in the fridge section
because the fridge requires cooling to about 5 degrees if the outside temprature is lower
the fridge wont demand cooling as it is already cold enough so the freezer will just thaw out

Hi big-all,

Thanks for the reponse.
Therefore I need to fool the fridgefreezer into thinking that it is warmer than it actually is....either by bypassing the thermostat or adding a heater :confused:

i no fridge engineer just a humble bench joiner :LOL: :LOL:

but i wouldnt think you could easily muck about with the thermostat

and i would assume you would need a temperature of in excess 12degrees to allow your freezer a chance of staying properly frozen

may be cheeper in the long run to buy a new freezer than having a heater running ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Bought a fridge/freezer from powerhouse just before they went bust, the sales EXECUTIVE( :rolleyes: ) said this is just the thing for a garage. Jeez it was a nightmare having to put superfreeze on and a blow heater to warm garage up on cold nights. Your electrician is right. I found out the hard way that you need a fridge freezer with two stats.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back