Frigidaire - 90 degree bend leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently bought a new dishwasher and hooked it up to my hot water inlet pipe via a 90 degree bend. However, there has been a consistent leak at the bend, no matter how much I tightened the bolt around the connection. I tried wrapping it with teflon tape and have tightened it as much as I could with a vice grip. Now it is a very slow leak (1 drop per hour), but I'd really prefer it not to look since I don't want to damage the floor underneath. Is there an easy way to stop this leak? Maybe there some kind of spray on sealant I can use to stop the leak?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
sounds like too much tape, and over tightening, the inlet pipes are supposed to be hand tight only.

Dry off the fitting and surrounding area, then check to see where the leak is coming from.

Am I right in thinking you have fitted some new pipework to the existing plumbing? It sounds to me like you have used a compression elbow, and this is where your leak comes from.

If this is the case, then compression nuts should not be tightened too much. They will leak.

Also, what breezer says about inlet pipes is very true. These have washers on them so you don't need to do them up more than hand tight (no matter what temptation you have to get out a pipe wrench!)

Sponsored Links
I didn't change the piping...I retained all of the old copper pipes which I had with my old dishwasher. In fact, I used the old compression elbow, which I think is part of the problem, because it didn't have any washers in it, just an olive. I contacted the local home hardware store and they suggested I try pipe thread sealant...and what do you know, it did the trick. I think it was just that the teflon tape didn't get into the threads to seal the joint as well as the putty. I highly recommend this stuff btw...very easy to apply, and inexpensive! Thanks for all your help btw....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back