From Automatic to gearstick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Does anybody know how difficult it is changing back to a gearstick. I've been 'blessed' with an automatic for 20 years and I have had the thing written off- in a very loud front end bang-up.
I now find I'm on the open market for something more 'green' and smaller.
Any suggestions. Do I hire one for a bit? or do I have a rehab single lesson? or do I just jump in with two left feet and take pot luck?. I am a bit concerned- should I be?
(or should start again with a pedal car!)
All previous cars have been gearstick ie about 35 years motoring.
Thanks in advance for any replies. :( :) :eek:

Sponsored Links
It will do no harm to have one or two lessons with a pro instructor.

If you get one that does advanced lessons he wil help you brush up on lots of things you'd forgotten, as well.

I had a session after I'd been off driving for a while following a bad prang, I found it very helpful.

Apart from that you will get used to it again in an hour or two, but you will probably come to a halt without pressing the clutch once or twice.

better than going from manual to auto..........stamping on the brake instead of the (non existant )clutch :eek: :rolleyes: ........I`ve been a passenger when this was done :evil:

I've been a driver where it was done! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
try left foot braking - but in a car park with plenty of space around and nobody behind you. it takes a while to work on the sensitivity :oops:

regarding going from auto back to manual - if it is a Mercedes stick to an auto box as manual versions are notoriously heavy to use.

if you do lots of town driving then skip the manual option otherwise it tends to be more fun anyway.

Thanks guys- you have confirmed my thoughts and thanks also for the prompt that I must treat the changover seriously, or stay on automatic.
A good point on taking update-lessons which I'll try to get
My idea was to go more 'green' with a smaller car.
The best option then is to hire one later on trial. ( keep my legs crossed)!
Thanks again for replies.

A five gear box I used to sport
When one gear didn’t like my sort
Was clearly seen in my rear mirror
Following on in holy terror

Now I’m driven down to four
Knurled another marked with R
Cruising onward doing forty
Blessed thing, just call him shorty

My sums are right, I’m down to three
Gave up ramming car up tree. :evil:

You might consider this though, Bylough...it's a quote from LJK Setright a motoring journalist (sadly now passed on):
'Nowadays only the most stubbornly primitive or the most recklessly skinflint would choose to drive a 3-pedal car'

'Driving is not an art, it is a science'.

'Whatever control you operate, do it progressively, not sharply; if it be a pedal, do not kick it, squeeze it'.

'If you have never tried braking with your left foot, be very careful indeed the first time you do so'.

'One of the most precious habits to be acquired with a 2-pedal car is to have your left foot always ready for an emergency stop. You can save yourself at least half a second in this way, which can be worth 44ft of road when driving at 60mph.'

Don't actuall agree with the first line, but interesting, nonetheless. ;)

Many thanks, L_Plate (and points from other replies)
That's a very interesting quotation. I also believe the first line was not well thought out by the writer.
I say this as I have just had 2 hours tuition back on manual gears. My results were quite good I thought- I did fair and ended 'good' and would be happy to have a manual again.

I found that they are more fun to drive- if it's a good car- a relative's car in this case. I was 10 years younger! (And it's that bit that should be considered in the quote- fun of driving- you're driving, not the gearbox!)
However I thought it better to hire an automatic for our holiday- chicken!

So it seems both have their attractions, (yea- chickens as well )and even after a long interval- you can relearn- I think more lessons is a good idea for me- though not really necessary :)
Cheers!

Yeah, if you've ever driven a manual, do not use you left foot for braking as you will be forever peeling your face off the windscreen. :D

On safety grounds, I believe that is a good point. Talking about driving an automatic.
I'm guessing that in the case of an emergency stop- which only happened two or three times in 20 years with me (well I don't remember any more) your left foot would take a bit more than half a second to respond in a hurry, maybe got 'pins-n-needles' :)
You couldn't keep it on guard every trip! . Whereas the right is very near and at the right height enabling a very quick switch to brake, and is used to this action.
enit!

Sponsored Links
Back