Front room bay window roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ;) here's my unfortunate scenario! I have a bay window on the front room of my house and the bay roof has roof tiles.The roof is leaking and water is running down the walls!!! I had a so called roofer out to fix the problem and he replaced a few tiles and reseated the ridge tiles and charged me over £200!!! the roof is still the same !! When there is steady rain without wind it does not leak.When the rain is heavy and there is a strong wind the leak starts.As I have had enough of this problem(it has been goin on for months) I decided to knock a hole in the inside ceiling to see where the leak is coming from.My mate sprayed his hi pressure washer at the roof to simulate the conditions that causes the roof to leak and I put my head up the hole and noticed the water running down the house wall tracking across the wooden frame work and dripping onto the ceiling and walls.He reckoned the lead flashing from the roof to the house wall was the problem so I sealed everywhere on the flashing I could and the other night it started leaking again!!! Does anyone have any ideas what the fault could be? I like a challenge but this is now doin my head in!! :cry:I have done a visual check on the roof and there is nothing obvious.Every thing looks good ,no cracked tiles or anything.

Sponsored Links
Could be the wrong code lead flashing being thinner and is lifted in the wind then rain blow in. Any photo?

The fact you could see the walls indicates that there is no felt under the tiles.
When the wind blows it may be blowing the rain uphill and over the top edge of the tile.

If it's not that then you haven't done your flashing properly.

Sponsored Links
solid wall :?: ........or cavity wall without a proper cavity tray/ flashing .......join the club of millions :rolleyes:

Like my old gran used to say .....if the wind changes you`ll get water in :eek: :confused: .....or was it "you`ll stay like that" :p

There is felt under the tiles .If I have sealed around the flashing where else could the water be blowing in from ??? Could it be a case that water has been collecting in the felt for a while before I did the sealing job and it could have perished and now letting in the water? I am clutching at straws here ! Suppose it's better than clutching the neck of the guys who built the house!!! :LOL:

If you have Plain tiles on your roof it may be that there are no soakers behind the lead flashing see here

Also, sealing the lead to the tiles will cause more problems that it solves as any water that is between the tile laps (caused by capillary action) is prevented from draining out.

I have got exactly the same problem which has been going on for years!
Replacement bay window which leaks only when there is a wind with rain, it is OK during normal rain. I have had the window company out many times over the years who can't find anything wrong with the installation. I have had cavity trays fitted above the bay window which seemed to stop the problem temporarily - don't know why! I then had a builder in who took the ceiling off the bay exposing the walls, raked out all the rubble, sealed everything he could find, re-sealed the outside. He then found a small hole on the window ledge upstairs above the window. He sealed this also even though there is no leakage upstairs. I can find no water damage in the roof space, although I have been told I have a loose tile on the roof. I am at my wits end with this window because everybody I contact says it is a different problem. At present the window is leaking so badly a towel on the window ledge is soaking within minutes. If you can find any answers to your problem, please let me know. I don't know what else to do about it.

Sorry for not gettin back sooner guys.THANKS for your replies.
I will try and get a photo for you soon and then maybe once and for all I will get this fiasco sorted and a happy wife again !! ;)

Hi Windowpain
I can tatally simpathise with you. This problem just seems to go on and on and on ! I don't want another guy coming out doing whatever and charging me 100's of pounds to find out the next winter time the problem has not been fixed! If you ever get to the bottom of this please can you let me know and I will do the same! Many Thanks. ;)

I think Roofers got it spot on, it sounds like it has to be the join between the wall and the roof, ie Flashing or soakers. when did the leak start in relation to how long the window has been in or the house has been built?

I have the same problem. The window in question has a flat roof with flashing covering the external wall to which the window is attached. During the recent adverse weather, I have noticed water accumulating on the window sill and stains on the ceiling within the bay window area. Any ideas as to a solution (reluctant to get window companies involved as they will try and get me to change the window etc).
Also, the window and brick work appears to sag away from the house and the floorboards within the window slope slightly- anything to worry about?
House is >100 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back