Frost Protection Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system doesn't have a built in frost protection system.

Last winter, we simply put the heating on constant and at night or when we went out turned the stat down to about 10C so it would come on if it got really cold to prevent frost.

This winter however, we have decided to leave the heating on timed, as we got fed up waking up to a freezing house and having to run downstairs to turn the stat up when we got up.

What, realistically, are the chances of frost being a problem for a central heating system in a modern 3 year old house when the heating is on for a couple of hours in the morning, and all evening? I figured that the house and pipes would stay warm long enough to stave off frost during the night when we are asleep and the day when we are at work.

What is everyone's opinion?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Chance of a problem is almost zero. We have an unheated outside toilet, and that rarely freezes.

Boiler is a Potterton (can't recall the model). It is located on the kitchen wall (an outside wall but the wall is quite shielded where it is due to fence/shed etc.), the hot water tank is in the airing cupboard upstairs, and the stat is at the bottom of the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Zero then. Pipes in windy eaves are about all that freezes and that takes unusually cold weather.

keithmdw said:
Thank you everyone. I will stop worrying then.

Oh no, don't stop worrying, it could breakdown over Christmas :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back