Frozen Engine or Gearbox siezed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do i know if engine or gearbox are siezed? My car wont start, its had frozen water pipes but the defrosted now, but the starter motor clicks, but dosn't turn the engine over. IT sounds like its not fully engaging, like its clicking in then straight out.
Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Is the starter motor trying to turn the engine over, i.e. if you have lights on do they dim when you turn the key?

If you put the car in top gear and give it a push, does the engine turn? Sounds rather like a flat battery.

BTW if your engine has frozen, it quite likely has fractures in the head, block, pump and radiator.

If it hasn't, thank your lucky stars and put in the antifreeze.

Yeah lights dim when try turning over.
Is it best to jump off, or connect battrey charger to it?

Sponsored Links
Can car be started by connecting battery charger to car battery then turn it over?

How do you know the ice has all melted? The water pump might be solid. You must melt it before trying to start the engine. If there is ice in the waterways it will not circulate and half the engine will overheat while the rest is frozen. Have you tried pushing the car in top gear yet?

If the battery charger is connected and you try to start the car, you will overload the charger.

If you can jump start it, try that.

If not, charge up the battery for 24 hours,, then disconnect the charger and try again.

ml1936,did you bother to read the answers to your other post?Are you sure it has thawed out completely,you still have not stated what vehicle you are dealing with.If the thing was running before it froze up then it should run now,if the engine will turn. Can you get a socket on the crank pulley nut to rotate it by hand?Waterpump driven by cambelt? Have you already bust it and locked the engine up?

ml1936 said:
Can car be started by connecting battery charger to car battery then turn it over?

definatly not if its a normal charger

it will give out a few amps max whilst the starter requires several times that amount to start[note the highly scientific terminoligy :D :D :D ;) ]

in this weather the water may still be frozen within the block as the average is around zero but on the same token this may have saved the day as ice causes more dammage the cooler it gets

yes2mud said:
ml1936,did you bother to read the answers to your other post??

I didn't see that one before. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=492651&highlight=#492651

ml1936 you don't appear to be responding to questions from people trying to understand your problem.

If you believe the ice is melted I'd suggest you drain all the old water out, and refill with hot water mixed with antifreeze.

Otherwise it will freeze again tonight and tomorrow.

I'm not convinced it has really thawed. I think the pump is probably solid.

Sorry its a Rover 214, All water seems fine in pipes now, if you squeeze them it moves water in expansion tank.

I've noticed the clock has reset to 1200 a few times, so maybe it is the battery. But why would it keeps resetting?

:LOL: on the front of the engine. It will have a water pipe going in and one coming out. It will probably have a pulley on it to drive it from the engine with a rubber belt.

Did you drain out the old water; and did you mix the antifreeze with hot water before pouring it in?

how the hell anyone who has a car with no anti freeze in this day and age is beyond me. might as well use water for the oil aswell :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back