fuel cost and how to make them lower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i asked this question once and need a reply

veg oil at tescos cost 39 p a litre how can i use this in my diesel engine legally

do i just pour it in and send the tax to the revenue guy ( who is it )

do i have to add something to the veg oil ? as i watched them do it on top gear with a diesel volvo and it was raw veg oil ( cheap type ) the car started and ran ok no smoke

will this hurt my injection system as i know it needs internall lubrication

so many questions some of you must have sussed this out already

Sponsored Links
Slogger said:
ok i asked this question once and need a reply

veg oil at tescos cost 39 p a litre how can i use this in my diesel engine legally

do i just pour it in and send the tax to the revenue guy ( who is it )

do i have to add something to the veg oil ? as i watched them do it on top gear with a diesel volvo and it was raw veg oil ( cheap type ) the car started and ran ok no smoke

will this hurt my injection system as i know it needs internall lubrication

so many questions some of you must have sussed this out already

Ok, sorry finger trouble there. You need to add 5% white spirit or similar by volume to the vegetable oil. Alternatively, you could go to your local chippy, and ask if you could kindly take their old chip fat away for nowt. They'll probably jump at the offer.

If you take this approach, you'll have to first filter the old oil obviously, then add the 5% white spirit, and probably filter it again through charcoal.

You need to pay 25p per litre in duty. That said, I bet all this is covered in the link provided above :LOL:

aye it is covered but what isnt is

do i need to add some sort of lubricant for my injection pump ? as white spirit will thin the veg oil but has no lube qualities

i ask as i was told to add engine oil 1 pint to 10 gallon of veg oil to lube the pump ? but that would make it smoke and be even thicker

or is it both i need to add spirt and oil into the veg mix

ps do i need to pay duty if its not for road use ie boat

Sponsored Links
shove a couple of egg yolks in your cement mixer and a clove of garlic and then very slowly add the veg oil, every now and then add a bit of vinagar and keep going till the mixer is full and its all turned thick, now put it in jam jars and lable it "home made mayonasse" and sell it at your garden gate and wiv all the money you'll make you can buy some proper diesel. :D

If your engine is fitted with a Bosch pump, you should be OK using veggie oil, but beware if you're fitted with a Lucas - you'll damage the seals.

A further point - If you're running an HDI car with an in-tank fuel pump, the slightly heavier oil can burn out the lift pump.

Eddie M said:
Alternatively, you could go to your local chippy, and ask if you could kindly take their old chip fat away for nowt. They'll probably jump at the offer.
Don't try it with Harry Ramsdens...

Also, does anybody know if it's true or urban legend that Pataks run their lorries on the oil they've used for cooking curries, and that they leave a trail of gently curry-smelling exhaust behind them?

Dont the oil suppliers pay the chip shops for the old oil for recycling??? Therefore they aren't going to let you take it for nowt are they? Just something i heard.

That's probably to do with needing a licence to deal with waste, and oils and fats have just become classed as hazardous waste.

This thread will be self defeating, if you want to run your car on veggie oil, do it quietly and don't brag about it. If you do, loads of other people will start buying the oil, the price will go up, and you will have to start frying with lard. Then it will be just as cheap to buy diesel at the pump.

all animal waste is now hazardous waste. all our shops now have to freeze their meat and fat waste in bags marked hazardous waste and have it collected every fortnight by PDM.

What about 2-stroke oil? Would this be sufficient to lube the pump?

To check the properties of the different oils, take two identical clear plastic containers. Fill one with diesel, the other with veggie oil plus white spirit or what have you. First of all, make sure your veggie cocktail doesn't settle out over the course of a week or two (being low mileage, I often go 3 weeks between fill-ups).

Then, try dropping a ball-bearing in both of them simultaneously. If the ball-bearing hits the bottom of one significantly quicker than the other, there is a significant difference in viscosity (by the way, I believe this is known as a "Poise-meter" :LOL: )

Eddie, you dopn't have to add the 5% white spirit to pure Veg Oil if you do a diesel/oil mix.

Also my Van (Transporter T5 TDi) can run on 100% Biodiesel according to VW so I would think a clean Oil in the tank mixed with the diesel would be great..

Sponsored Links
Back